Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  

Shrimps?

That is a problem with permanent markers. Interesting color combinations and direction of the tie. Those look like good Mantis shrimp imitations. The first shrimp pattern I learned to tie was Bob Popovics Ultra Shrimp. It's designed to imitate a grass shrimp which is normally gray or tan color. The eyes in this pattern are tied in at the bend of the hook. So that's how I tie my shrimp patterns. I believe the premise is that fleeing shrimp , like crayfish, swim backwards to escape the predator.

This is another pattern I tie. It's called Reggie's Shrimp, designed by a member of my salt water club.

post-309-0-69400000-1502931703_thumb.jpg

Mantis shrimp patterns are becoming more popular as their populations in the mid-Atlantic area increase. They're totally different critter. They're an ambush predator, striking from crevices or the sand. Less likely to flee backwards from something stalking it. The only suggestion would be to tie them with dumbbell or bead chain eyes so they ride hook point up and can be worked across the bottom

The sharpie marker will fade with use so don't worry too much.

Personally I like the colours and what we see and fish see is not the same.

Have a look at the fibres from a wall paper brush for feelers. That's what I use.

I like the Supreme Hair shrimp pattern (Cabelas) for the very reason that it is a forward-swimming shrimp. One of the best fishing lures for spin-fisherman is the DOA Shrimp, and it's rigged to swim forward. It's also fished slowly. Maybe that's the deal. Use a backward-facing shrimp and move it fast/erratic, like a fleeing shrimp. Use a forward-facing shrimp, but fish it slowly like a shrimp that is unaware ...

The one thing I did not like about the Supreme Hair shrimp was that the hook is facing down. I'd rather have a hook ride up, so I can scoot the shrimp right along the bottom. So I came up with this tie .... added a rattle as well ....... fish seem to like it fine:

redfishsupremeshrimp.jpg

AP

I'm 100% with you Andrew. I hate backward swimming shrimp patterns. Fish look for an easy unsuspecting meal...not chasing wild backward flipping shrimp around.

However...PLEASE show us an SBS on how you tie yours hook up. I've tied a few hook down and they do work well but in shallow conditions they do hang up.

attached a couple of my jumbos. The big ugly one got slammed by a 10lb triple tail after rejecting finger mullet.

Thanks

post-44758-0-93676900-1503526230_thumb.jpg

Can't do a SBS right now, but if you can tie a regular Supreme Hair Shrimp, this one is not much different except:

1) I used an Eagle Claw 60degree jig hook (helps turn the hook point up)

2) Rattle at bottom and at the front of upturned hook; rattle is wrapped a few times with EP Trarantula Brush for the bushy leg look

3) Black "brains" is a bit of black foam tied in on top of hook to help the hook orient correctly (not trying to float the fly, but just make sure the hook point rides up).

You could easily omit the rattle if you wanted, but then you might want a wrap or two of lead at the front of the hook. What you are trying for is a fly that will slowly drop head-first -- not like a clouser, not that fast -- and then allow you to slowly swim/bounce it right at the bottom, over grass, etc .....

AP