Fly Tying

Click! Poppers

Got the idea the other day. Speckled trout sometimes prefer a click rather than a pop. Robbed some metal collars off a "click" cork and little customizing made couple of surface poppers that click instead of pop. Had to split to get to swallow the hook and got the beads on by magic... The orientation of the eyes is mute the body spins freely and clicks loudly on lil jerks. Prolly over did with flash but happy with the "prototypes"

Got the idea the other day. Speckled trout sometimes prefer a click rather than a pop. Robbed some metal collars off a "click" cork and little customizing made couple of surface poppers that click instead of pop. Had to split to get to swallow the hook and got the beads on by magic... The orientation of the eyes is mute the body spins freely and clicks loudly on lil jerks. Prolly over did with flash but happy with the "prototypes"

IMG-4984.jpg

IMG-4986.jpg

The lil metal collars make the click!

IMG-4990.jpg

IMG-4991.jpg

hmmmm......interesting ..

Hey fella why don't you take your negativism somewhere else. I don't smart off at your stuff. Maybe I need to overlook your tone. I like to experiment. To me flytying is more of a science than art. I don't ever comment on your plain simple ties that you only present. Do they swim?

CLICK CLICK!!!!!!!

chill out! nothing negative in my question

i was simply asking a question. i have never said anything negative about any of your creations

i just didnt see what was going to click with the limited space between parts

its amazing that you cant ask someone that you rarely ask a simple question to and the responder goes apeshit

Tried them out. A good regular click cork has glass beads top bottom and metal inserts. It clicks on the jerk and again when the weight settles back. On my bugs couldn't get glass bead over the hook barb so had to use the plastic. The plastic bead striking the metal collars does click and the hook eye against the collars clicks. Sounds great now in the water... At rest in the water the hook eye lies against the popper body as the bug hangs down and when you twitch the bead in the back slams the collar and get a click. No click can I hear as it settles back. Got some brass beads to help. Some I can't hear a click but I'm deaf in one ear and can't hear outa the other one. The big yellow bug makes a very nice loud click even I can hear. The styrofoam/cork body acts as a sounding "box" I guess so bigger the better but bug size gotta stay smaller. Anxious to fish'em.

Prolly could make louder ones using the wire, glass beads and split ring a dressed hook to it. May try that. Trying to stay a single bug. Long shank hooks would help too.

So I’ve been sitting around thinking about this.

My approach would be Waspi hard foam pencil poppers(drill a hole center line) ...Home Depot washers glued in the front and the back

Except they would probably be too thick and too much weight so you would have to sand them down or get some thin sheet-metal and cut your own....bead in the front, bead in the back and there ya go click click Bam Bam

No need for click in the front I'm saying it won't "back up" for much of a click. The click is gonna come from the back bead hitting the back of the body when jerked. Then on the pause the weight of hook slides back ready for the next jerk. Not much is happening going back i.e. not enough force/speed to make a click. Even with a dropper under our bugs ( I'll prolly drop a small minnow fly or maybe one of my fiber shrimps under mine) not enough fall quick enough for much click.

Here's the corks that click and or pop. Typically 2-4' of mono and a live/plastic shrimp is underneath. The bottom weight or brass beads create the "back" click. Not gonna happen on our bugs. These are the bread and butter of the guides/everyone else down here for specks and reds inshore/marshes. But we flyfishing? Getting everything around the hook bend is the problem...

Your way would work just glue one of the hollow brass jewelry beads in the back of popper body and click the 2 beads together. The front just needs to be free to slide back effortlessly. A bead in the front of popper would work for that. I just like lotta slack in the hole.

IMG-5005.jpg

Some of these with plastic inserts I couldn't hear them click in the water. Maybe put ear to a glass against the rain barrel and listen(getting silly now?). But they all look and work great.

IMG-4994.jpg

I use glass rattles a lot. Not sure how the cartridge/BBs work in the cork. I have attached rattles out the back. The rattles are small kinda want loud if possible. The 22s cases would be great to make.metal collars for sure. Thanks for the idea. Plinking time.

IMG-2451.jpg