Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  

Dee style fly

Troutbum,

You fish for Atlantics much? That one fish that is high on my "to fish for" list. Don't know much about the flies, are they "imitation" patterns or are they an "attractor" pattern? What type of feather is that your using for the wings?

The closest I've ever been to an Atlantic Salmon was having one for dinner. Since I started tying these flys I decided that I probably should go fishing for them someday.

I don't really know what they're trying to imitate or if it's an attractor, there seems to be a lot of debate on that subject. dunno.gif

The wings of this fly are strips of mottled peacock, other feathers are; jungle cock, blue-eared pheasant, golden pheasant crest and tippet. The body is seal dubbing.

Well I guess if you ever decide to fish for Atlantic Salmon you'll just be one step ahead of the game. I've been scurrying around for information on Chinook Salmon Patterns because I'm heading up to the Pere Marquette in Michigan in 3 weeks and it would have been great to know all that information years ago!

Smalliehunter,

I just did a Google search on "Pere Marquette Salmon flies" and got a lot of info. None of the flys mentioned seemed difficut. Wooly buggers and hex nymphs were the primary flys mentioned.

Yea we have quite a few wooly buggers, 50 PM Blondes, and 50 peach glo-bugs. Tied most of them this weekend and from what I have read we still might need to tie some more. We will be fishing hard for 5 days and fighting 30 lbs of muscle with an 8wt. 80% of hook-ups end up in snapped line. That's not even mentioning the many snags that require a cut line. Might need to tie up another 25 of each just in case, or we might just bring the vise with us and tie as needed.

Guest Steelheader69

No, you're doing fine. I tie alot of Dee and Spey flies professionally (and of course standard salmon/steelhead flies as well). Nothing wrong with that fly at all.

Onto patterns. These were NOT meant to mimic anything. They were simply flashy flies. I wouldn't even say attracter. I think it was which Ghillie (english guide) could make the wildest fly. LITERALLY. Go look at a fully dressed jock scott. You tell me what THAT looks like. LOL

I've fished atlantics on the US and the UK side. I actually used hairwings most of the time. Only an occasional feather wing, and NEVER a full dressed featherwing.

I have some speys downloaded, and the dee's I have (ackroyds) are on fly pins, so don't give off the correct profile. But here's some pics.

Spey tube fly

user posted image

Here's a "simple"spey. Not as fancy, and are what I call a fishing fly. I don't mind losing one. This one's called a Wynoochee Dark (my creation)

user posted image

Here's a Glasso favorite, the black heron

user posted image

I used to have a full database of flies. But had a computer crash 2 DAYS before my backup drive showed up. Lost everything. So all these are some pics I luckily had sitting on a disk or had on Steelheader.net. But had some good pics of ackroyds.

Very cool, Steelheader. Fishing flys or not, they are very nice.

Is that teal or mallard on the collar? Also, what is the body hackle? Pheasant?

TroutBum

Actually, all three of those are widgeon. Just applied differently to the hooks.

The spey feathers are actually burnt goose. I use that when I tie fishing flies. WHen I want a more traditional look, I use BEP.

Thanks for the kind words. I tie "fishing flies" that are really nice. But for myself, I tie my fishing flies REALLY easily. Speys like those are damned simple to tie. Plus the burnt goose feathers are extremely strong. You can counterrib, but isn't a necessity. On BEP, I ALWAYS counterib the body.