Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
eastern fly

Spey Furled Leaders

I just started using a switch rod and want to try furled leaders for it. I do make them for my other "standard" rods. So does anyone have a formula for a 6/7 10'6" switch rod. I will use floating and sink tip lines. Thanks

Kevin

Can I ask why what you hope to gain with the furled leader? Only ask cause I always worry I might be missing a trick.

Formula? Why make it more complicated than it needs to be? Make the butt about as thick as the fly line and the tip as fine as the material will let you. Twist until the links between sections are tight, and furl. If you want it furled really tight half furl it then add more twist to the legs. As for length, how long do you want it?

There is a lot of rubbish talked making furled leaders much more complicated than it needs to be. The KISS principal applies.

Cheers,

C.

I do understand about the leader butt to match the size of my fly line. I was just looking to see if anyone had a known set up for a switch rod that I could try. I like furled leaders and I know some dont.

Kevin

What line do you have paired up with your rod? It can make a difference.

I would start out making the furled leader at least as long as the rod and go from there. If it is too short there may not be enough line stick to set your anchor to make a cast.

FYI - I don't use furled leaders. Not that I have any thing against them, I just find it easier to make a mono leader or use polyleaders.

Not sure if this helps....but just last week I furled up 2 leaders and connected them....making it a total of about 10 feet long. The longest my board is set up to make is about 7 feet. So I made one standard 5 footer, then the second one I just did about double the wraps, so the overall leader would be larger than the first one. Then, instead of doing any Shorb loops on the ends that needed to be connected, I just did a loop to loop connection and it makes a pretty nice transition. I have only hand casted it in the house, but it seems to work great. Good luck!