Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
xvigauge

Carhartt Crazy

So how many out there in forum land love, appreciate, and use Carhartt products? I have become a fanatic I suppose as just about all I wear anymore are Carhartt brand clothing. I have one of their "Detroit" jackets and it is great for the fall and winters here in east Tennessee. Their suede leather vest is perfect for the between seasons when it is not too cold nor not too hot. Most of all I like their three button Henley pocket tee shirts and I am currently trying to obtain one of each color they carry. As far as rugged clothing goes, Carhartt products are reasonably priced. Many web sites carry "close out" and "irregulars" at discounted prices. The one product I cannot really comment on is their boots. They look good but they don't offer any in my size. I am kind of a little guy and the smallest boot size they have is 8. But that's OK as I only wear Courteney boots anyway.

Joe

Our company is in the process of deleting our uniform company. They're going to give us a "stipend" we'll be buying our own clothes.

So, I've been shopping for uniform pants. Carhartt was out of my price range. I've never worn anything from them, so I can't comment on the quality.

Our company is in the process of deleting our uniform company. They're going to give us a "stipend" we'll be buying our own clothes.

So, I've been shopping for uniform pants. Carhartt was out of my price range. I've never worn anything from them, so I can't comment on the quality.

Mike, if you are using them for work can't use use them as a tax deduction? Like I said, there are often there are often closeouts, sales, irregulars, promotions, etc. so you can usually find them at very affordable prices. Compared to other brands, I never thought them to be priced too high. BTW, they seem to last forever so you don't have to buy Carhartt clothing very often.

Joe

Not a fan. They have a nice color is the best I can say about them.

So what is it specifically you don't like about them. Elaborate please. I am curious.

Joe

We don't have enough deductions to exceed the standard. But I'll look into them again. If the company stipend is sufficient ... Perhaps Carhartt will be my new brand!

Elaborate please.

Only had the insulated bibs and a jacket; all were binding to work in, uncomfortably ill cut for the size they claimed to be and the bibs shrunk when washed and wore out quicker than less costly brands like Berne or Walls. My advice is to buy Carhartts two sizes too big and find a smaller guy to give them to. Oh and the price is not quite comparable with the quality. I suspect the price raised my expectations beyond their ability to provide, but bibs should have legs larger than yoga pants and the bib should come up over my chest and the suspenders should not be at maximum length for fellow of average height.

Carhartt made their name by building canvas pants in a denim market, canvas should outwear denim, if you don't consider that one is an apple and the other is a pear. Yet in working construction side by side with a Carhartt wearer Big Smiths lasted longer.

As to them selling boots and underwear, I don't buy cake from a butcher nor meat from a baker, why would I buy boots from a tailor or pants from a cobbler, a company that sells both probably buys both from another source. Makes all their products suspect, imo.

flytire, I don't think you have missed out by not giving those brands a lot of attention. I have an unused gift card from Duluth Trading, twice through the store and I suspect that card will remain unused.

Elaborate please.

Only had the insulated bibs and a jacket; all were binding to work in, uncomfortably ill cut for the size they claimed to be and the bibs shrunk when washed and wore out quicker than less costly brands like Berne or Walls. My advice is to buy Carhartts two sizes too big and find a smaller guy to give them to. Oh and the price is not quite comparable with the quality. I suspect the price raised my expectations beyond their ability to provide, but bibs should have legs larger than yoga pants and the bib should come up over my chest and the suspenders should not be at maximum length for fellow of average height.

Carhartt made their name by building canvas pants in a denim market, canvas should outwear denim, if you don't consider that one is an apple and the other is a pear. Yet in working construction side by side with a Carhartt wearer Big Smiths lasted longer.

As to them selling boots and underwear, I don't buy cake from a butcher nor meat from a baker, why would I buy boots from a tailor or pants from a cobbler, a company that sells both probably buys both from another source. Makes all their products suspect, imo.

flytire, I don't think you have missed out by not giving those brands a lot of attention. I have an unused gift card from Duluth Trading, twice through the store and I suspect that card will remain unused.

Hey tjm, sorry to hear about your bad experiences with Carhartt products. I am kind of surprised, though. I never worked construction so I can't reference anything to that. Being a little guy I am hard to fit yet the Carhartt jackets, vests, and shirts have always fit me very well. I had a Carhartt jacket (can't remember the name of the style) several years ago and I wore it for several years. When I put on a little weight and didn't like the tight fit, I gave it to me son-in-law and he wore working construction and is still wearing it and it has yet to wear out, it is just very well broken in.

I had a couple of Filson jackets a few years ago; one in their tin cloth and one in their shelter cloth. The tin cloth was so stiff, I never did get it broken in after several years so I sold it. The shelter cloth wore out after four years of wearing it almost daily. I always thought Filson was the very best (at least they are the priciest), but I am soured on Filson stuff and won't buy anymore.

As for boots, I only wear Courteney boots. They are expensive, but they are light weight, water proof, and extremely durable. After wearing one pair almost daily for ten years, they finally wore out and I bought a new pair. I suppose the old pair was repairable, but I needed an excuse to but a new pair and that was about ten years ago and they are still going strong. I guess only tow pair in 20 years is a pretty good testament.

I don't work for Carhartt and have no other interest other than I like their products and they have worked for me. Just curious about what others thought.

Joe

I never bought Filson, I tried some on when they opened a store near me years ago; I believe they are made for camp, and fit best when standing still, but that is kinda my experience with Carhartt also, I don't like stiff. And the coarser weave of canvas abrades easier than finer weaves like twill. Activity levels and exposure to concrete and diesel can give a different perspective. I class Red Wing boots in the don't buy group too, and lots of folks think they are fine. Gear and clothing are best chosen for the activity and lifestyle where they will be used, a 3wt flyrod isn't for tuna nor a 10' casting rig good for brook trout.

I've never heard of Courteney boots before and after finding them on the net would say they look comfortable but fragile. Rubber soles in particular don't last well on farm or construction where they will encounter oil sooner or latter. Most of what they call boots, I'd call shoes, to me a boot covers above the ankle or calf; however if they work for you and last ten years average. stick with them.

the only thing i like about duluth trading company are their funny tv commercials smile.png

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=813CceJU-ww

Even funnier if you have walked through the store and looked the clothes, My very first thought there was "this is where the effeminate loggers shop!''

Fire-hose fashion.and the "bullpen briefs".

Reminds me I need to look at their on-line catalog and see if there is anything I can convert that gift card to. Maybe a fire-hose rug or slippers.

Funny, I've bought a few Carrhart shirts because they fit well and didn't shrink down to munchkin size like Riggs did. I got tired of buying shirts and after two washings the cuffs were halfway up my forearms. Carrhart is more expensive but I can buy it once.

I have some fleece-lined pants and a hoodie that I pretty much live in all winter here in OK. Hikes in the brush for winter fishing, yard work, and general around town wear. I'm happy with them.