Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  

Have a problem cutting collars on muddlers????

I'll see if I have some pics saved (lost most when my old computer crashed). I know I put this up before, but not in the tips section (I don't think I did). This little tip has helped me ALOT (and I've been tying up some muddlers, so this reminded me of it).

Most of the time, if you make a collar out of spun hair, you'll snip alot of it off when you are trimming the head. What I do is take a simple roll of scotch tape (the type you get to wrap Xmas gifts with). Make a tag end on both ends so you have somewhere to seperate the tape when you stick it together. Now, fold back the collar of your muddler. I use my thumb and index finger to stroke it back. Then take the piece of scotch tape and wrap around it fairly snug. Now, trim the head to shape with a razor. You'll glance right over the tape as you work your way back. Once you're done, pull the tape apart, and you have a nice collar (and no hair loss, bad enough I lost if off my head, let alone off the head of my muddlers LOL).

Will try to post pics if I can find some (my digital camera is in Georgia with my girlfriend right now).

Thats a great tip! I saw an Al Beatty step by step where he did the same thing but he stuck the tape to his pants first so it the adhesive wasn't so strong that it would pull hair out when you take the tape off

Ah, that's cool. I didn't see that one. I actually got the tip from Lani Waller while he was tying his Waller Waker quite a few years ago. Used it on my other steelhead dries and the muddlers (he was using it to protect the tail and the wings on his Waker). I do like the added "put on your pants" tip. I actually put a small piece of tape inside to do same effect. That way you said, I can use less tape.

Sign in to follow this