Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
greifs

Spinning deer hair then spilling hooks...

Well, I was giving my first go around at attempting spinning deer hair, and I'm not sure if you guys are as messy as I am, but I have deer hair all over my workspace.

I spilled my hooks as I was cleaning up right in the waste deer hair. I started picking the hooks out, then remembered a little trick I used when trying to find a screw. I have craft magnet strips. just run the magnet through your pile of waste, and the magnet will pick up the metal objects (hooks) and leave the trash(deer hair).

tom

Ahhh, trimming spun hair. I trim the same way I cook - the more mess you make, the better it tastes. Best clean up I have found is to keep my scrap bucket right under the fly during trimming, but then use a small piece of tag board (even the labels from materials packages will work) for what escapes. Use it like a scraper, off the edge of the desk and into the scrap bucket. Hair doesn't stick to the tagboard like it would if I used my hand. Just a couple of passes and it's clean.

Deeky,

What does deer hair taste like? :hyst:

When trimming, I have gotten it just about everywhere----except my mouth :)

But, I can see it happening.

Duckydoty

The magnet is a great idea for spills in a mess like that

I learned the hard way about a lot of things like this, now I only take one hook out at a time or keep what I am going to be using for a doz. say in a closed container. Spilling head cement cause I was in a hurry and left the lid off, clipping the thread at the real wrong time, loosing tools in a mes of scrap. Not to mention dropping the bodkin onto my foot in socks. What else lord knows, the joys of fly tying.

To tell you the truth spinning and clipping deer hair is probably one of the messiest things in fly tying, especially the real fine clippings. I like to tie up a bunch of flies and clip them all at once. When its warmer I will clip them all out side. When I do clip at my desk I use a paint brush to dust everything up. I also have some scotch guard static cleaning cloths that I will clean my desk up every now and then. The clippings of deer hair are prized by some tyers as they can be spun with a loop to make some cool flies. Magnets are cool and will find hooks when the eyes cant.

The way my table is set up I can take a plastic grocery bag and stretch the handles across and below my vice and hook the plastic handles in the corner of the drawers on either side of me. Then I can trim the deer hair and most of it will go in the bad, not all but most. Like Joe said it helps to clip a bunch at one time rather than do each one as you go, then you just have one big mess to clean up.

Good idea about the magnet. I clip outside in all weather, something left over from when I used to tie at my parents house on the kitchen table. Didn't want to make Mom mad.

Deer hair tastes...well....simply indescribable. Just one of those things you have to experience for yourself. Tie up your favorite deerhair bug, and clip. Remember, the more colors, the broader the bouquet of flavor. Sit back, take in the sight of your beautiful new fly, and savor the flavor. Just keep a very tall glass of water (or beer) nearby to wash it all down. And don't mistake your head cement for your water (don't worry, haven't experienced that one yet).

I find a wine with a fruity bouquet and a hint of impertinence goes very well with deer hair (natural). Elk hair is a different matter.

get ya a rare earth magnet lol a small inch by inch mag will suck a damn hook through a wall lol those lil bastards are the strongest mag without using electricity, i have about 5 that my cousin gets me from the plant he is in charge of.. great tackle box add on to i might add. i have seen the real ones go on ebay cheap too..

Sign in to follow this