Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
eastern fly

Head!

The Commando head by OPST is simply a 12' or so level shooting head. It needs a running line -- loose coils of special low memory/stretch mono usually -- to 'shoot' the head out 70-80' or more. . And you also need tips -- either floating or sinking -- between the head and the leader to turn over the delivery. There are juncture points in the system -- backing to running line; running line to head; head to tip, and tip to leaders -- done by loop to loop connections.

The ambush lines have a level running line; and a head with tapers at both ends in an integrated unit.

In many ways they do the same jobs but excel in different things. The commando allows for large flies and heavy sink tips on relatively ltwt rods and the Ambush line gives better delicacy in presentation of dries and its heavier running line also allows for better drag management..

Both can be used with Skagit style casts that avoid throwing line into obstacles to the rear and that efficiently use the power in the rod for smooth, non tiring, all day, casting and with standard back casts.

And both can be used on Spey, Switch and standard one hand rods -- although the latter is a fairly new game.

Rocco

Rocco said just about everything I would have.

I guess the real question is, what are you planning on doing with the line and what sort of rod are you planning to use it on?

I have the Wolf Ambush on my 7wt. I have looking into the other but not sure if I needed both. From what I have been told here and FB I don't think I do.

Kevin

I have used Ambush lines for years on my Trout Spey and SH rods. In my collection is 4wt through 8wt.

These are not made for delicate presentation of dry flies,, the lines are more Skagit taper with a very short front taper and will crash into the water at turnover.

They can be modified with a Airflo Polyleader of 10ft or RIO Versi Leader both of which are heavy fly line coating on mono. This will extend the front taper and with addition of 8ft of tippet allow more delicate landing. The running line is rather thick in diameter and makes any distance casting a struggle.

The total had length is rather short at 18ft for 4wt-6wt and 20ft for 7wt -8wt.

OPST is a classic Skagit taper shooting head with little front taper and will require a tip of floating, intermediate or sinking fly line plus leader.

When the lines were introduced I purchased a set from 150gr through 350gr for testing on my Trout Spey rods and light weight SH rods.

The head length varies with line weight from 12ft to 18ft depending upon head weight.

They work very similar for presentation wrt the Ambush lines and both benefit from the type and weight of tip attached.

In general, I prefer the Ambush lines for heavy flies and striping in closer to the rod tip in smaller waters. Easier to pick up and recast when striped close.

The OPST heads are more versatile for longer distance casting with various head weight changes depending upon conditions and size/weight of fly desired.

The OPST heads also excel when used with SH rods and Spey casting.

These lines are not only for heavy sinking flies,,, add a floating fly line tip and longer leader for easy fast conversion to wet flies and soft hackles.

As mentioned the real fishing advantage is Spey casting these lines,, no overhead or back cast is required, once you become comfortable with a switch or sustained anchor style of casting, the over head back cast is no longer necessary.

Regards,

FK

They really do basically the same thing just a little differently, so if you're happy with the ambush I see no reason to get a commando for the same rod. Of course you can never have too many lines for any rod, and if you're into single hand skagit casting it would probably be worth your while at some point to pick up a commando or one of the similar lines that have recently come out from major line manufacturers. No need to rush out and pick one up tomorrow, though.