Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Mainard

Brittle feathers

I purchased a couple Pheasant tail feathers that had been dyed olive. They look great but are brittle . I tried using them on baptism nymphs and when I start to wrap the fibers around the hook some break. Can I soak them in water to bring back or pass them thru steam or any ideas . Thanks

Steam should work. If you use a tea kettle don't get the feather too close to the source of the steam coming out but further up the stream of steam where it is white. In close to the spout is too hot and also not wet enough. You can use a pot too, just make sure plenty of steam is present. Lets put it this way, it's worth a try and I think you will succeed, how long the feather stays reconditioned so to speak is up in the air..

A little late on a reply to this thread. Years back I had the same problem with some rooster necks. A shop on the area told me to use Glycerin. He said, take a small brush and apply the Glycerin to the backside of the neck. He said to let it soak in for a week and I was back in business.

2 minutes ago, CSB1 said:

A little late on a reply to this thread. Years back I had the same problem with some rooster necks. A shop on the area told me to use Glycerin. He said, take a small brush and apply the Glycerin to the backside of the neck. He said to let it soak in for a week and I was back in business.

I hope I remember that idea. Thanks