Fly Tying
FlaFly

Leaf season in western N.C.

Leaf color is at its peak here this week. This is an exceptionally nice leaf season this year. Last couple of days were unfortunately grey and rainy.... leaf color is best with the sun shining. Here's a pic of a tree that I planted several years back. It's about 35 feet high. Those are 100 foot poplars, etc., behind it.

post-52210-0-42815600-1445899556_thumb.jpg

Those are pretty colors, true ... BUT ...

People see different things in fall colors.

I see a premonition of hours of raking leading to snow and cold and miserable months of Winter.

That's why I bought property up on the side of a mountain, with NO LAWN! From the back lot line to the front lot line is a 200 ft. drop. BTW, that tree is about 30 feet behind the holly hedge that you see, and the base of the tree is about 20 feet lower than the part you see.

Very nice. Looks like you've got a great spot. Is there any fishin' and did you use your new camera? Thank you, Ed

Thanx Ed. There's lots of fishing if you like fishing trout streams. I'm into lake fishing, and there aren't many lakes in this part of the state. What there are tend to be reservoirs, and totally surrounded by private homesites. I did find one nice lake adjacent to the DuPont Forest that, while it is all privately owned, does have a sort of semi-public access... the only owner that is right on the lake is a campground that will let you launch a canoe/kayak from their ramp if you pay for a day's campsite. The rest of the owners' houses, if they exist at all, are up the hill and back in the woods, so you don't see them. Believe it or not, the state stocks this lake. It has LMB, SMB, white and black crappies, perch, bluegills, walleye, and who knows what else. But I have not brought my canoe up here and so haven't made an attempt to fish in NC. I do my fishing in Florida.

Ashamed to admit I still haven't tried the new camera. Maybe I'll give it a try while the trees are still nice.