Fly Tying

That guy is hardcore!!! After watching, it reinforces my plan to go to the ER and letting them deal with it should that ever happen to me

I've watched that before. I tend to believe that "for demonstration purposes" need not involve slowly driving a hook through your flesh. I don't suppose it's much different than getting certain body parts pierced.

But then, I think any body piercings, other than the ears (which can be made 99% painless), are ignorance personified.

There is another way to remove a hook not mentioned. One of the ways the ER would do it. If you have a very sharp xacto knife or razor knife you can carefully cut along the shank to the barb ( after sterilizing it of course ) then remove it easily.

Little hooks can be yanked out backwards, and the string method will work but the angle you yank the string has to be low or you will get S&M's results.

Lastly popping it through ( and that hurts ) and cutting it off. The one in the photo went it totally painless. Pushing through wasn't and you do need good cutters for the hook ( like in the photo not pliers ) and I always carry a pair with me for just that purpose.

I've done all the above. Number one more than once.

post-44758-0-82804900-1491359411_thumb.jpg

post-44758-0-28842300-1491359430_thumb.jpg

Scalpels work.

When I was 14 or so I always had a small survival kit that came with us when we went fishing. It had a scalpel and we every now and then would have these very brave conversations about how simple it would be to use it to remove a hook from an arm or a leg. Until one day it happened. You should hear the screams in pain. Then we ganged up on my buddy and held him down to perform the surgery, for his own good. Suddenly his pain went away and he was just fine with that thing sticking out of his knee.

Those were the days...

Yeah, I'll stick with pinching the barbs down. I've experienced both ways, pinched barbs are painless, you lift the hook out with your fingers and that is the case if it's just stuck in your waders or your skin, finger etc.. The ER is traumatic ( I had a treble hook jammed into my knuckle straight in, there are tendons and such in there that I really didn't want to rip out and have a wrecked finger for life). The car and boat are out in the parking lot at teh hospital, we haven't eaten supper yet and it's now after 9 PM, got to be to work at 6 am etc etc. It's just a bad scene.

And that guy in the video isn't stupid or ignorant , he's just plain crazy.