Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  

Drying Dyed Fur

I decided last night that I was gonna dye some deer body fur black but wanted to use the fur last night but that is a problem because of how long it usually takes deer fur to dry after dyeing.

Here is what I did. Took an old sock, and put the fur in the sock and then put the sock in the dryer "by itself". It didn't take too long and the fur was dry and ready to use!

Now the dye can ruin a sock so don't throw your old socks away and use them or just use one of the wife's and play dumb when she asks about it.

great tip, Will...this does indeed work well, just make sure you rinse the piece very thouroughly and wring out the excess dampness or you may dye your dryer as well!! tongue.gif

For anybody who's 'afeart' of screwing up the dryer- or, anybody who wants to keep their welding rods dry and warm...

Make a box 'dryer' - basically, some square or rectangle container into which can be installed a socket and lightbulb. The lightbulb provides radiant heat; the box contains heat. It doesn't matter if it's wood as long as it has a small vent or two AND you provide clearances sufficient to keep the bulb from starting a "stupid" fire; if you're drying skins or tails, etc., then install a false bottom of 1/4" chicken wire or small three edged shelf brackets so you can adjust the height of your stick frame chicken wire shelves and dry several things at once.

If you were doing this for welding rods, you'd use a defunct refrigerator, a metal storage box or some such

Just imagine a food dehydrator/evaporator as your mental 'guide' to theory and practice; containment, heatsource, ventilation.

Sign in to follow this