Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Joshpilon08

Love my local taxidermist

So today I stopped up to my local taxidermist to pick up a deer I shot a couple years ago. On a whim I asked her if she had any scrap pieces of deer laying around. She walk over to a bag she was throwing scrap pieces into and pulls out a neck a little over three feet long. I offered to pay her for it and she wouldn't take anything for it. Says it's going to the trash anyways might as well go where it can be used. Needless to say I scored more deer hair then I will use in a couple years. For FREE. At the moment she is holding a nice chunk of black bear for me. She's wants $20 for that.

My question to everyone here is, what else should I have her hold for me? Outside of squirrel and rabbits?

Thanks in advace.

post-57707-0-92676700-1556071290_thumb.jpg

post-57707-0-53780800-1556071466_thumb.jpg

A really good friend of mine was a taxidermist, now retired. I would go in on Saturdays and shoot the shit with him for a few hours and walk out with all sorts of his scraps and cuttoffs. Great source of materials

Doug

Everything !!! Are you crazy ??? You're a FLY TIER, fer christ sake !!! Don't you know you're supposed to collect and hoard all the fur, feathers, synthetic material and hooks that you can ??? Even to the point of driving the Mrs. and friends away? Even to the point of moving the stove and 'fridge out of the kitchen for more storage space ?!?!?!?

Get with the program, man !!!

All kidding aside ... I use raccoon tail for my favorite fly. Everybody tries their hand at deer hair and similar. I, personally, would have no use for any other scraps.

laugh.png I'm sure, just for a split second, she thought, "A fur coat for me !!!"

Then she saw it was too small for that. dry.png

Everything! rabbit and squirrel make great zonker strips, even if you have to cut them one at a time!! (which I don't)