Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  

Stupid Human Tricks

I'm glad I have friends who lend me ideas and remind me of my own mistakes! biggrin.gif - Thanks, John D. Pondfisher!)

TIP:

When tying flies for a swap always tie several more than you think you need. You never know when you will accidentally paint the wing of a streamer with the paint for the pupil or have the new bottle of nail polish attack the paint of the eyes. And if all goes correctly you have a couple of flies to fish!

Which reminded me of about one dozen yellow perch style streamers (which I did either last year or the year before) hanging on the cross-wire of a lamp at home, that either have a frigged up head, a lie of grizzly hackle wing that I hated after it had set, a mylar tubing belly that didn't 'please my eye' after I coated it with finish, OR- just about EVERY SWAP I've done and screwed something up or left something out of a pattern 'cuz I wasn't paying attention, was tired or got lazy about my tieing!

FURTHER TIP: It almost makes sense to lay your materials out; pick your feathers, cut lengths of tubing or whatever, then concentrate your time and methods- BLOCK OUT the time you need- don't be distracted by the television, except as background noise, the cat, the phone, wanting another snack or any of that crap, and you'll avoid making mistakes.

Sign in to follow this