Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  

Hopper season in the South

For any of you Mid-South boys, pay attention. We have now started the best time of year for fishing...BIG hopper season. Scouted a few local haunts this afternoon and the really big hoppers are everywhere! If you hit the streams this weekend, throw a big hopper and you just might be pleasantly suprised. Ans a note for all the bass fellas, big hoppers like the BLT and club Sandwich work great for fall smallies and gills!

Tight Lines

Big Daddy, good advice! I've got a big hopper that I tie for bass. It's

2 1/2 inches long tied on a 1/0 hook.

Jesus Jim why don't you just hook a smallmouth on your hook and fish for hoppers laugh.gif Just kiddin bud.

Will, I devised & tied that fly originally for Kelly Watson (texaskelly on rs.com). He wanted some big hoppers to use on the streams he guides on for bass. I think what he has there in Texas may be locust, not hoppers, but the same thing as far as the fish are concerned. His description of the real thing said they were about that big.

redneck, I have no problem with sharing the recipe, however, I seem to recall you're just starting with tying, and with spinning deerhair, so it may be a challenge for you. The fly is tied with a combination of foam & deerhair. If you tackle it & learn to tie it you should have little trouble with other spun deerhair flies.

I'll post it in the Fly Pattern forum, but it may take me a few days to get to it.

I was giving you a hard time Jim, we actually have some decent sized hoppers in this area that would probably be about the size that your talking about. Gotta give you a hard time every now and again just to keep you on our level. Don't want you to get to big of a head with those awesome scores on the game wink.gif

Jim,

I would love to see that pattern!!! Love the big hoppers, as do the big Ky bass!!

Sign in to follow this