Fly Tying
Poopdeck

Name that tool

Okay what is it? This was in a box of tools I purchased at an auction. The box contained your ordinary array of wrenches, screw drivers, pliers and such so nothing that gave me a clue as to what this is.

post-48414-0-17886200-1546226203_thumb.jpg

post-48414-0-54599200-1546226228_thumb.jpg

post-48414-0-84693600-1546226253_thumb.jpg

They look like pliers but have that funny thing between the handles. The metal knob end of the funny thing corkscrews out. The white plastic cap on the other end seemingly does nothing. The handles can be locked together by a spring loaded screw.

Anybody have any clue as to what the purpose of this is? I'm kind of a tool guy but I have never seen one of these before.

Got a pair in my toolbox.Works especially well for fixing chain link fences.Also my go to tool for making snares for trapping season.

I've never used one but now that I know what it does I hope to get a chance to use it. Probably not but it's not taking up much room while I wait.

Great for making strong forms for pouring cement. A doubled heavy wire is passed through holes on opposite sides of the form, and a nail inserted through the bend. The pliers are locked on the tag ends, and you pull the spiralled handle, which twists the wire tight. After the cement sets, you clip off the wire - in the picture, it appears there was a LOT of wire clipping done.

Safety wire pliers spot on. I used them numerous times wiring nuts on aircraft while in the Air Force.

Nope it looks like it was barely used. There's a machined divot in the cutting blades. Not sure why. I assume it's for crimping.