Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Permitcapt

*NEW* Rolling Weed-guard

Here are the steps for my new Rolling Weed-guard, as seen in the Summer 2018 issue of Fly Tyer Magazine. The first picture was too big to upload, but it simply showed crimping the end of some hard mono, like Mason.

Creating the Rolling Weed Guard, by Edward Michaels

1) After cutting a 3 inch piece of 20-30# mono, crimp one end flat with smooth-jawed forceps. Serrated jaws will not flatten the mono as well.

2) Wrap the crimped end of the mono with thread, covering it completely. Secure the wraps with a small dab of Solarez Bone or head cement.

3) Thread your choice of bead onto the mono.

4) Form a loop and adjust it’s size. Although the bead can touch the hook point, the mono loop must not be that long, or hook-ups will be prevented.

5) Bend loop forward toward the hook eye to it’s desired position and secure in place with thread wraps on both sides of the loop.

6) Crimp mono where the second tie-in point will be and secure on the opposite side of the hook shank with thread wraps. The flattened mono can be folded-over (as in this picture) for added security and then trimmed.

7) Apply a dab of Solarez Bone or head cement.

8) Finish fly by applying UV light.

post-55273-0-36677200-1529615112_thumb.jpg

post-55273-0-69415200-1529615164_thumb.jpg

post-55273-0-21236500-1529615183_thumb.jpg

post-55273-0-81801300-1529615202_thumb.jpg

post-55273-0-16502600-1529615219_thumb.jpg

post-55273-0-74854100-1529615233_thumb.jpg

I read your article with interest and plan on tying a few flies with rolling weed guards. Have you thought about how the bead might affect the motion of the fly? Or using heavier bead to get the fly down?

Yup, thought it all through and wrote about it in the article. Weighted beads from plastic craft store beads to heavy tungsten beads give the tyer multiple opportunities to customize to your needs.

Very ingenious - and not that tough to tie in.... I have my own, rather peculiar weedguard for flies meant to ride point up.. One of these days I'll have to post it up...

Very ingenious - and not that tough to tie in.... I have my own, rather peculiar weedguard for flies meant to ride point up.. One of these days I'll have to post it up...

Please do Uncle Bob!

Have seen beads on mono on clousers for "rattle". Might add a bead next to the glued one for lil extra.....Brass / glass make better sound than plastic. Just a thought. Get too much prolly miss strike...https://i1.wp.com/www.garyborger.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/10/Rattle-Clouser-5.gif?resize=555%2C320

$.02

Weed guards/eyes on spoonfliesIMG_4048.jpg

Nice work on those spoons!