Fly Tying
zip

Making lures

Hey gents!I was curious how many folks make their own crank baits and plugs/rubber baits?I was thinking about buying some molds and doing injection forms or turning some balsa on the lathe for crank baits etc...Someone out there does and if you have any advice I'd love to hear it!I've not a clue where to start!All the best!

I have in the past made Musky baits, spinners, and casting spoons. I still make my own Surf baits. Never did enough bass fishing to want to mold plastic or lead. I fill large ball point pens with lead shot to make plugs for the surf. These get a trailing hair tail. I take all the treble hooks off my stuff, and replace with single dressed hooks.

Guest rich mc

there is a forum for plastic lure makers on crappie.com also a forum on jigcraft.com rich mc

Drop Kirk Dietrich a message. Not sure if he still looks in here but he makes some great baits

I've dabbled in it but frankly my fishing time is very limited and I did not have the time to invest into R&D. Making and shaping wood lures is about as simple as it gets. However, weighting and getting them to run the way you want takes a lot of trial and error. Never got into plastic. As for wood I didn't use balsa. All wood floats, at least all the wood I ever tried to float floated. I used poplar, maple and cedar. I turned metal lip surf plugs and caught lots of bluefish on them. Thankfully blue fish don't think to much about wether their going to eat something or not. I also made a few freshwater glider type baits carved and belt sanded out of flat stock. Never had much luck with them but glider type baits takes a lot of sea testing various weight, weight positioning and hardware configurations. I just didn't have the time to invest so I pretty much put lure making on the back burner. Maybe when I retire I'll have the time to invest.

top waters are the easiest to perfect so I would start there. Be prepared to spend lots of time figuring out the hardware, weighting and making a plug do what you want it to do. Make multiple bodies to the exact same dimensions, weight them differently and see what works best before going into final production. If your turning plugs you can cobble together a poor mans duplicating jig out if scrap wood. Understand you will experience lots of failure before you produce a single plug worth fishing.

Here's my duplicating jig. The base fits over the lathe bed. I make a pattern of the lure out of hardwood backing and fix the centerline of the pattern to the centerline of the base (directly under the lathe centers line) the tool part simply slides across the base. The follower follows the pattern and the tool follows the follower. While I can get very close by freehanding I wanted exact to ease the weighting pains.

post-48414-0-94062200-1500348220_thumb.jpg

Good luck.

Guys I really appreciate all the info and directions!Come payday I'm going try a few and let y'all know how they come out!

zip, I have been making lures since my childhood, some which are flyfished, too. And of course, I have fished "flies" on spin, cast or troll gear, quite often over the years.

I would be interested in collaborating (please, no 'collusion" jokes here) in some fly patterns or swim-baits with a cross-over application or two. Should be getting back to speed in 5-6 weeks, so..... keep me posted, please

Great info given already!

My brother just finished his first lure on the lathe. I think he had a few "do overs" before this one. I agree with poopdeck that topwater would be the easiest to start with. He used bass wood..I think that's what he called it. He plans on a smaller version next, but has already caught several bass in this one.

Good luck and have fun.

post-59266-0-78416700-1500385756_thumb.jpg

zip, I have been making lures since my childhood, some which are flyfished, too. And of course, I have fished "flies" on spin, cast or troll gear, quite often over the years.

I would be interested in collaborating (please, no 'collusion" jokes here) in some fly patterns or swim-baits with a cross-over application or two. Should be getting back to speed in 5-6 weeks, so..... keep me posted, please

That's a pretty good idea.Ill keep ya posted buddy!

Great info given already!

My brother just finished his first lure on the lathe. I think he had a few "do overs" before this one. I agree with poopdeck that topwater would be the easiest to start with. He used bass wood..I think that's what he called it. He plans on a smaller version next, but has already caught several bass in this one.

Good luck and have fun.

That's a good looking lure!I only hope mine turn out as well!

Jason-As soon as I get one done I'll send it to you with the rest of our swap stuff.Not any bass big enough around here to test on

Kirk I referred to 'tied' a terrific walk the dog fly that cruises left then right with each rod pull. Took him an age I believe to achieve the action with foam and fur but they look terrific in the water.

Anybody can make a pretty lure on their very first attempt. Getting the action correct can drive you mad. I made some that did nothing.