Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

50 pound Airline restriction

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Shoe

Shoe

Bellied up to a Sand Bar

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,181 posts

Posted 24 November 2004 - 07:48 AM

I spent the last few nights gathering my toys for the trip out West.
Do to the variance of climate between Phoenix and Page I'm forced to bring both warm and cold-weather gear.
I started loading the Double bottom duffle with waders, a couple of rods, vest, net, tippets and other replaceable items (in case they loose it dry.gif ) and filled the top portion with clothes, including a fleece, rain jacket, thermals and even some shorts.

Off to the scale... 51.7 pounds mad.gif OK, let's weed it out. I removed a pack rod and the camera and it's close and should fly..lol

When did they decrease the weight? On my trip to Anchorage I could swear it was 70. Even that was tight on the way home. We each had a box of fish.

Have any of you experienced problems with bringing 4pc rods on board? How about flies? (after all they are sharp objects laugh.gif )
I know where they live, I know what they eat. Now it's time to fool them with thread, feathers and roadkill.

#2 mcfly

mcfly

><> ><> ><> ><> ><>

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,244 posts

Posted 24 November 2004 - 08:51 AM

Have any of you experienced problems with bringing 4pc rods on board? How about flies? (after all they are sharp objects laugh.gif )

They will take your nail clippers, you'll probably get arrested for trying to smuggle a deadly weapon onboard when they see your flies Shoe.. laugh.gif

Your best bet, call ahead, hope you get someone who has a clue, and ask them. Would really suck to board and find out they won't let you on or make you leave your flies behind.

You could always send your clothes by fedex or something ...
To avoid situations in which you might make mistakes may be the biggest mistake of all. - Peter McWilliams

#3 SmallieKiller

SmallieKiller

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 123 posts

Posted 24 November 2004 - 10:44 AM

As far as I know, you can take almost anything on a plane that will be stored beneath the cabin. It's the carryon that is not allowed to have all the clippers and what-not. As long as your rods and stuff are packed in your suitcase, you'll be fine.

As for the 50 lbs, it was like that in September of 02 when I flew to Mexico, so I'm not sure when if ever it was 70. I'm not an authority on that stuff though, only been on a plane twice in my life!
See, I reckon you're an eight or a nine, maybe even a nine and a half in 4 beers beers time...

#4 Shoe

Shoe

Bellied up to a Sand Bar

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,181 posts

Posted 24 November 2004 - 11:10 AM

After some additional research, it looks like flies would have to be checked and can't be brought into the cabin. mad.gif
Like I'm gonna cast them or something... Now that's scary bugeyes.gif

This really burns my ass. If they loose my shit, I'm out of hundreds of hours on the vise.
I know where they live, I know what they eat. Now it's time to fool them with thread, feathers and roadkill.

#5 Carlin

Carlin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,081 posts

Posted 24 November 2004 - 12:23 PM

Yea, that hook thing is lame. Like you're going to take someone hostage with a size 18 zug bug. dunno.gif

Anyway, everytime I have flown into Anchorage for the past several years there has always been several people with rod tubes in their hands. However, I have read on other boards where folks were forced to check their tubes after getting to security.

From what I've seen, I'd say you have a really good chance of getting through with a tube, but there is always the possibility...

#6 Graham

Graham

Silently keeping Steve in line

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,901 posts

Posted 24 November 2004 - 12:34 PM

Hey Shoe,

I have an Orvis bag that holds four 4-pc rods and several reels, never had a problem taking this on board a plane. Easilly fits in the overhead compartment. I pack my flies in a bag that is checked in. I took a trip to the Adirondacks last summer on American Airlines and they charged me $40 extra when I checked in for a case that was too heavy, 55 lbs. Apparently they recently changes the limit from 70 to 50. I had a bunch of tying stuff and a vise on a marble base, wont do that again.

I have found Southwest to be the least restrictive about weight issues, also the cheapest tickets. My annual LRB trip cost $99 each way from Burbank airport to Buffalo.

#7 Bamboo

Bamboo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 401 posts

Posted 24 November 2004 - 01:02 PM

Shoe-

Flies are a definite no-no. mad.gif You could put someone's eye out!

Rod tubes seem to be at the discretion of the security people. I've never had a problem but you don't have to look far to find those that have. I've also heard of people not being able to take their reels in carry on - you could choke someone with the line!

Last time I went out west, I shipped things ahead using UPS. I just arranged it with a local flyshop so they were expecting it and it was there waiting.

-Bamboo
"For the supreme test of a fisherman is not how many fish he has caught, not even how he has caught them, but what he has caught when he has caught no fish." - John H. Bradley

#8 Peddler

Peddler

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 355 posts

Posted 24 November 2004 - 07:08 PM

Shoe, 50# it is and don't go over! The good part is if you do they will just charge you more... a LOT more! Now you have to consider if the additional charge is worth it to you.
I shipped ahead too. This way I know at least some of the stuff I DIDN'T carry on made it through. If it didn't I bought extra insurance.
When we flew out west last August they allowed rod tubes as a carry-on as long as they were PVC. I took 4 rods in one of those Orvis square rod cases with no problem. My understanding is the rules change all the time to keep the bad guys off balance and prevent them from figuring out a sure-fire way to perform gutless acts.

#9 Graham

Graham

Silently keeping Steve in line

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,901 posts

Posted 24 November 2004 - 07:47 PM

Shoe, You might want to call the airline for more specific details. I think you are allowed to check in two bags without paying extra but I'm not sure if the 50# is per bag or combined weight. I think it might be for each bag, perhaps different airlines have different rules?

#10 jmmccutc

jmmccutc

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 92 posts

Posted 25 November 2004 - 11:46 PM

ok fellas and gals, here's the skinny, errr, i mean heavy, on the bag restriction...

when calculating the Maximum Gross Take Off Weight, MTOW, the airlines uses "average" weights, the problem is that many airlines use different weights as the average...you're lucky they let you take 50# of baggage...most use a number arround half that to calculate the weight

Here's an example, Mesaba's (Northwest Express) standard pax weight is 175 in the winter and 170 in the summer (may 1-oct 31)...and the standard checked bag was recently raised to 28 pounds, and most carry ons are estimaded to be 10-15lbs (not even close to the 50lbs mentioned before, but,honestly when was the last time you all had a 10lb. carry on?)...all of these weights vary depending on the airline...

A 1999 study published in the Journal of the American Medical Association put the average weight of American men at 187.2 pounds, and women at 151.3 pounds...this would mean that most FAA standards are way off...

now i don't wanna scare anyone, but think about that next time you get told you can't have a bag over 50# i mean i bet they are already underestimating the MTOW by at least 800-900lbs...

with all the stuff that i fly i have to manually calculate the weight and ballance...so that make it more precise, but every airplane by regulation has to have a 20% allowance in MTOW (someone correct me if i'm wrong)...let's use the plane in my avatar for an example...MTOW is 1760, so the airplane must preform with a weight upto 2112lbs...but it is my job as the pilot in command of the flight to make sure that the plane is at 1760 upon take off...

that's the deal on bags and weights hope that clarified why you have a 50# restriction...

AND
(from graham)I have found Southwest to be the least restrictive about weight issues, also the cheapest tickets.
this is why i'll never fly SW...they may be cheap, but if ya'll only knew the things these guys do to get you their on time, it'd have you wiping the poop out of you waders...