Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

Christmas in the Keys

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 HATCHBOMB

HATCHBOMB

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 03 December 2004 - 11:19 AM

I'm looking at blowing down to the keys for the week between christmas and new years. Anyone fish down there that time of year? What might I expect to catch? I've never fished the salt, and I'm looking to get in some r&r before my last semester of classes. Any info sources or advice would be appreciated...

#2 sherman

sherman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 03 December 2004 - 11:53 AM

Can't help with the fishing by Duvall Street on New Years Eve is one hell of a party.

#3 bentflyrod

bentflyrod

"BEST FREAKIN' RELATOR"

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,117 posts

Posted 03 December 2004 - 02:00 PM

Hatchbomb

Your only posting this to make those you leave behind in Mi. jealous, arn't you!!

Sorry I can't help with the fishing. All I can do is wish I was with you at christmas.

Enjoy
BFR

IT'S SANTA SWAP SEASON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#4 HATCHBOMB

HATCHBOMB

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 03 December 2004 - 02:23 PM

Well, my intent was not to make people jealous. Although the weather being as it is here, I can see that perspective.

It's not totally set right now, more of just a possibility. All I need to do is get down there. Then I'll have a free vehicle and a place to stay somewhere around Miami. All depends on my cousin's schedule, and whether I can get a plane ticket down there for a reasonable price...

#5 TroutBum

TroutBum

Father Time is my brother

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,047 posts

Posted 03 December 2004 - 11:30 PM

Hatch,
Florida that time of year is kind of a crap shoot. As long as cold fronts don't blow through, it could be pretty good. There aren't many places to wade fish down there, but you can try Boca Chica, the island just north of Key West where the Naval Air Station is. There was a Circle K on the highway, take the road that runs along side of it until you can't go any further. There is a sandy flat about a half mile past the end of the road. Hit it on an incoming tide, bonefish and permit are a possibility.

Another place is Bahia Honda state park. It's about 40 miles north of Key West. Park your car in the northern most parking lot and walk north along the beach to the cut. There is a nice sandy flat there, and I've had some good luck on incoming tides.

Good luck.
Some drink at the fountain of knowledge. Others just gargle.
IPB Image
IPB Image

#6 Shoe

Shoe

Bellied up to a Sand Bar

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,181 posts

Posted 04 December 2004 - 08:16 AM

Hey Paul,

Tell me about the Crystal River/Yankee Town area. It came recommended for my stay down there.

Sorry Hatch, didn't mean to hijack your thread.

As for the Keys, a buddy of mine used to fish flies in the chum line of the boat on the Ocean side of Islamorada (sp) and did pretty good.
I know where they live, I know what they eat. Now it's time to fool them with thread, feathers and roadkill.

#7 MIKE*A

MIKE*A

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 967 posts

Posted 04 December 2004 - 11:01 AM

This doesn't really have anything to do w/fishing, but if you are going to be based out of miami, there is a nice little side trip you can take out of homestead back into the everglades........it would be a good afternoon trip, there is a mile long loop of a board walk that takes you through the swamp and you can see alligators swimming under your feet and crystal clear water full of monster bass, gar, and all kinds of exotics.........let us know if your going for sure and i will dig out my maps and get you the route #.

Mike

#8 TroutBum

TroutBum

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,047 posts

Posted 04 December 2004 - 12:27 PM

Shoe,
I'm not too familiar with the Crystal River/Yankeetown area. I've fished up there but it has been a couple of years.
IPB Image
IPB Image

#9 HATCHBOMB

HATCHBOMB

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 06 December 2004 - 12:34 PM

I'm not tied in to only fishing the keys. I'd try just about anything, including mangroves and roadside ditch fishing for baby tarpon. Any suggestions would be considered and appreciated...

#10 TroutBum

TroutBum

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,047 posts

Posted 06 December 2004 - 01:55 PM

Alligator Alley is a good place for chucking a fly. It's the interstate that cuts across the state from Naples to Ft. Lauderdale. There are drainage canals along side the road and they hold the usual warmwater species but also the occasional Snook and small Tarpon. Oh, and Gators. Lots of Gators. BTW, gators will take a popper if you have the stones for it.

cool.gif
IPB Image
IPB Image

#11 HATCHBOMB

HATCHBOMB

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 09 December 2004 - 12:22 PM

Hey Troutbum-
You ever go to Bonefish Bob's down in Islamorada? I just got off the phone with him and he said the fishing should be pretty good during that time. Not sure if he just wanted to see another customer in his store or what. He was mentioned in a different forum as a good guy, so I decided to give him a call. Looks like if I do go I'll get a solid week of fishing in. Hopefully it all comes together...

#12 TroutNerd

TroutNerd

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 09 December 2004 - 05:26 PM

I have taken spring fishing trips to Islamorada 2 years in a row. It was truly amazing down there. I wont be going back this year, but not because I don't want to! Anyhow, I went out with a guide from the "Holiday Isle" resort. I would recommend this to anyone. They don't call it the "Sport Fishing Capitol of the World" for no reason! biggrin.gif For my trip we rented a houseboat for the week and fished from that when we were not out with the guide. It was the experience of a lifetime! As for how the fishing is down there at that time I really cant say. But I would try to contact a few different guides in the area and get there opinions then compare. Easy way to smell bs.gif smile.gif Hope it goes well!

#13 TroutBum

TroutBum

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,047 posts

Posted 10 December 2004 - 08:16 AM

Hatch,
Bonefish Bob is an institution down there, he very knowledgeable and will help you out. His shop is kinda pricy, tie your own flies his are real expensive. The last time I was in there he wanted $9 for a Merkin!
IPB Image
IPB Image

#14 Kingfisher

Kingfisher

It's better to have a rod and not need it than need a rod and not have it

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 461 posts

Posted 10 December 2004 - 09:29 AM

I've fished that area that TroutBum referred to in the Spring; plenty of fish if the water level is right. There are a lot of mangroves in that area, also, that can be fished for crusing jacks (my favorite target), though I don't know if they're around in Winter.
Chris
Marine Scientist
NYC, Jersey Shore, Eastern PA, occasionally Downeast Maine

Big fish don't get big by being stupid.

#15 MIKE*A

MIKE*A

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 967 posts

Posted 10 December 2004 - 10:14 AM

That route that I mentioned earlier is 9336......runs right off rte 1 in Homestead (maybe just South of homestead). It runs all the way down to Flamingo......The National park ranger station is on thias road, i would recommend stopping n there and they can direct you to all the good lookout spots as well as where to stay away from (bugs).....The boardwalk that I spoke of earlier is several miles past he ranger station on the left......I don't know about fishing back there, but if you have an afternoon to kill, theres a lot to see.......

have fun,

Mike