Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

White River

• Please log in to reply
56 replies to this topic

#1 sherman

sherman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 15 January 2005 - 08:42 PM

I'm preparing to head to the White at the end of February and was wondering what type or size of fly to tie. I've seen some suggestions on another post but was curious if there was anything else anyone may be aware of. Any input would be appreciated. Thanks!

#2 wayne SW/MO

wayne SW/MO

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 164 posts

Posted 15 January 2005 - 08:53 PM

Sherman visit here, you'll find more information then you want.
Flyfishing Arkansas Missouri
Taney County, Missouri

#3 Shoe

Shoe

Bellied up to a Sand Bar

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,181 posts

Posted 17 January 2005 - 07:17 PM

Hey Marty,

Here's what keeps showing up in the reports.

RS2's in grey/blk 16's and 18's

http://home.att.net/...nc/Tie-rs22.htm

Olive and black woollies in the small sizes. With and without a bead

Griffith gnat

Sparkle midge

Soft hackles, again in grey/blk and in pale olive

Pheasant tails 14's, 16's

BWO's

Caddis Larvae

Green Ass

Squirrel nymphs

Scuds

leeches

egg patterns

San Juan worms

That should keep you busy for the next 6 weeks...LOL laugh.gif blink.gif
I know where they live, I know what they eat. Now it's time to fool them with thread, feathers and roadkill.

#4 ArkieFlyGuy

ArkieFlyGuy

It just doesn't get and better than Kenny G.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 575 posts

Posted 18 January 2005 - 08:48 AM

Geez, Shoe..... you forgot the ever popular OLIVE WOOLY BUGGER!!!! laugh.gif
TIGHT LINES, YA'LL!!!

Arkie Fly Guy's NEW AND IMPROVED website...

I'm not a fly fisherman.... But I DID stay at a Holiday Inn Express!!!!....

#5 Shoe

Shoe

Bellied up to a Sand Bar

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,181 posts

Posted 18 January 2005 - 08:57 AM

QUOTE (Shoe @ Jan 17 2005, 07:16 PM)

Olive and black woollies in the small sizes. With and without a bead

Nope wink.gif

I just disguised them..

I spent most of the weekend tying. It's been so damn cold up our way. So far I tied several sizes of the RS2 in grey with a black thorax, some grey soft hackles, green Asses and a bunch of Whitlock's squirrels on scud and regular hooks.

Gett'n ready.... y'all laugh.gif
I know where they live, I know what they eat. Now it's time to fool them with thread, feathers and roadkill.

#6 ArkieFlyGuy

ArkieFlyGuy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 575 posts

Posted 18 January 2005 - 10:36 AM

You should be more specific. You know us Arkies cain't reeed....... laugh.gif

Well, get ready. It was 18 deg F when I got up this morning. ph34r.gif

And if'n ya'll yankees brang that there cold and snow with ya'll, we'uns is gonna send ya'll back em-tee handed....... ya'll heer?! mad.gif

I tied some Miracle Midges last night and plan to do some more tying tonight. bait.gif

I heard some of the guys over Mt Home way saying something about it being to cold to fish? ohmy.gif My momma would whip me if I talked like that.... nono.gif

cheers.gif
TIGHT LINES, YA'LL!!!

#7 Shoe

Shoe

Bellied up to a Sand Bar

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,181 posts

Posted 18 January 2005 - 11:02 AM

QUOTE (ArkieFlyGuy @ Jan 18 2005, 10:36 AM)
I tied some Miracle Midges last night and plan to do some more tying tonight. bait.gif

I would be real interested in some of your midge patterns. We don't get to use them around our parts. As a matter of fact, I finally had the chance this past fall in Northern Arizona. I found it amazing that anything can sustain eating something in a 20.

#8 wayne SW/MO

wayne SW/MO

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 164 posts

Posted 18 January 2005 - 11:42 AM

Shoe Zebra's and Red thread can be effective, no head, larvae form. I'm not sure if their fish are real picky, ours aren't, when it comes to emerger patterns. Something in Black, Red, Olive and Red/Black with a head and white gills in a Pupa tie seem to work.
You might add Cracklebacks to your list, including one with a green holographic body.
Taney County, Missouri

#9 ArkieFlyGuy

ArkieFlyGuy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 575 posts

Posted 18 January 2005 - 11:57 AM

20? I know a guy who rarely uses anything larger than a 24. Regularly ties 28s and, for show, ties a 32. laugh.gif

Take a look at The Ozark Angler recipes and look at some of their midge patterns. I tie the Miracle like that one, but use gray dubbing for the head.

One interesting one I've seen lately is a larva lace type body with (looks like) white antron or similar tail and antennae. I've also heard the "super scud" or "scud worm" is good, but haven't fished it yet.
TIGHT LINES, YA'LL!!!

#10 sherman

sherman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 18 January 2005 - 03:52 PM

Thanks for the input! It looks like I am going to be quite busy over the next few weeks. To date I have only tied 2 poppers, all of these will be new attempts. Hopefully I can make something that will fool a few. headbang.gif

#11 Airhead

Airhead

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 245 posts

Posted 18 January 2005 - 05:16 PM

Marty, give me a call.

We can suck up some suds and tie a few.
Life happens!

#12 sherman

sherman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 18 January 2005 - 05:48 PM

Sounds like a good plan!

#13 conehead

conehead

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 597 posts

Posted 18 January 2005 - 06:27 PM

Sherman,

Check out www.ozarkanglers.com

I think this has got to be about the best website for trout fishing, except of course theflytyingforum.com which is the best.

Phil Lilley, who owns and operates Lilley's Landing, has poured a lot of life into this site. If you are fishing the white river (taneycomo) below Table Rock, then this is the best source of information.

Phil gives you maps, advice, and the ability to catch trout. Stop by his shop and pick up some of the best sowbug flies you will ever fish. I caught the biggest trout of my life in this stretch. I am headed there the end of the month and will fish the tanney Jan 26-29.

ArkieFlyGuy, you buddy fishes 26 &28 and ties 32 for show. Sometimes the (stinking, picky) trout in our local stream will only take 32's. Easy to tie, Wrap the hook with green crystal flash, and tie on a thin collar of herl, a quick whip and you’re done. Pop that baby on an 8x and you are in business.

Before anyone says you can't catch a trout with that. Let me tie a 32 on a piece of 8 xs. slip it in your mouth, and let me set the hook. I bet I can lead you around the room a few times before you break the tippet. Rarely will the hook pull free. Go ahead; give it a try if you don't believe it.

Conehead
PS: has anyone found any conehead to fit #32

7,793,638 fly patterns out there; face it, I'm gonna be late for work.

#14 MSUICEMAN

MSUICEMAN

When this baby hits 88mph...your gonna see some serious sh*t!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,041 posts

Posted 18 January 2005 - 08:37 PM

dang it fellas, i think i'm gonna be out of town when yall are going to be in arkansas. i'm gonna give it the ole college try, but i don't know. dang, was really looking forward to seein yall and fishing the ark. waters.

steve
He told us about Christ's disciples being fishermen, and we were left to assume, as my brother and I did, that all first-class fishermen on the Sea of Galilee were fly fishermen and that John, the favorite, was a dry-fly fisherman.

#15 Sippy

Sippy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 276 posts

Posted 18 January 2005 - 10:13 PM

An olive woolly with brown hackle and a copper bead has been very good to us in the past. Granted, it was a different time of year but I see they are still on the fly box list for the end of February. smile.gif
You can spend a fortune on premium feathers and it doesn't mean you'll tie a perfect fly. It just means you have the materials from a good looking chicken.