Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

Chatauqua Lake

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 SmallieKiller

SmallieKiller

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 123 posts

Posted 11 March 2005 - 03:32 PM

Any chance anyone would have any info on this lake or at least know of a web site where I can get some? Planning on taking a stab at some Muskie up there this spring. I've heard it mentioned a few times as a "great" muskie lake, but can find very little information on the lake, besides cottage rental places.

I'm not really keen on driving to NY for a bad trip.

thanks in advance

sk
See, I reckon you're an eight or a nine, maybe even a nine and a half in 4 beers beers time...

#2 SmallieHunter

SmallieHunter

For I am Mullis...Lord of the idiots!

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,490 posts

Posted 11 March 2005 - 06:45 PM

Here is some quick info I found: http://www.dec.state.../reg9/chaulake/

I "think" you spelled it wrong and when I searched for it in Google it recommended "Chautauqua". dunno.gif

test

#3 Teioneon

Teioneon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 104 posts

Posted 11 March 2005 - 07:12 PM

You can look at Fishing Western NY by Spider Rybaak. It has a bunch of info and even lists several access areas. If you can't find it, let me know and I can send you what I have via email.

It sounds like a pretty nice place. Muskie, walleye, bass, perch, and crappie in more than 13,000 acres of surface area.
Bob and Tom..the two biggest boobs on the radio!

#4 SmallieKiller

SmallieKiller

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 123 posts

Posted 12 March 2005 - 03:06 PM

yeah will, I've spelled it wrong every time so far. I remember picking the google suggestion as well.

I poked around and found a couple different sites and some of them weren't too bad. I'll have to really take a look, haven't had the time to put forth a lot of effort in to finding out some in depth info.

Thanks guys, I appreciate the help biggrin.gif
See, I reckon you're an eight or a nine, maybe even a nine and a half in 4 beers beers time...

#5 Teioneon

Teioneon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 104 posts

Posted 12 March 2005 - 03:29 PM

The info I have is as follows.

This lake is divided into 2 basins of similiar size.

The south basin averages 11 ft deep with a maximum of of 19 ft. The bottom is generally soft and weedy.

The north basin averages 25 feet and drops to a maximum of 75 ft and is rocky.

NY publishes a free Fishing Chautauqua Lake Official map and Guide and there is supposed to be another brochure at local shops entitled Chautauqua Lake Hot Spots and should also be available through county visitors bureau.

There is a company that makes maps of lakes and has a website. I remember it's located here in NY but am not sure of its name right now. dunno.gif Sorry.

I will try to look for it in a bit. They had a pretty good list to choose from and Chautauqua might be among them.

#6 Teioneon

Teioneon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 104 posts

Posted 12 March 2005 - 03:58 PM

Thought I had an old copy of NY Sportsman with a map in it but no such luck.

It's not the site I was thinking of but it does have what you are looking for.

http://www.fishinghotspots.com

It says they have over 500 maps. Hope this helps anyone looking for a map.

#7 SmallieKiller

SmallieKiller

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 123 posts

Posted 13 March 2005 - 10:49 AM

Thanks Teioneon,

That sight is perfect. I'll be ordering up a couple from that site. smile.gif

#8 fishaholic

fishaholic

Beginner

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 18 March 2005 - 01:11 PM

Hey killer I live about 45 minutes from the lake,and have fished it numerous times.The lake is about 27 miles long and holds alot of fish.The lake is well known for the musky fishing but you have to cover alot of water to find them.If your experienced at catching these monsters then you should have a good time up here going after them.Just another heads up on this lake ...the bass fishing is phenominal along with the walleye fishing(mostly done at night).IF your gonna be driving up here to NY I would also recommend a couple other smaller lakes all loaded with muskies also.Those would be findley lake,cassadaga lake,and bear lake(my favorite).I have personally caught muskies in both bear and cassadaga. Well good luck and pm me if you need more info headbang.gif

tight lines and hold on tight!!!!!!!! cool.gif