Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

1st Annual FTF Outing to "Ohio Powerlands"

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 MIKE*A

MIKE*A

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 967 posts

Posted 11 March 2005 - 08:16 PM

I know it's early, but if your like me, your calendars fill up quick. I spoke to Will a couple weeks ago and was looking at 3 or 4 different weekends to choose from and it's amazing how quickly 3 of those 4 filled with other things......Anyway.....

The Ohio Powerlands (actually called AEP Recreation lands now) is app. 30,000 acres of reclaimed strip mines located in South/central Ohio, due south of Zanesville off I-70. There are literally over 300 lakes/ponds to fish at. Some small enough to cast across and others big enough for canoes/kayaks. The fishing is primarily panfish and largemouth bass. There are a number of campgrounds to stay at. All are free! that time of the year, there are never crowds! There are wells for water and latrines. I would recommend tent camping or maybe a small popup. The campgrounds are very clean. You do have to have an ohio fishing license as well as a recreation land permit(these are free) I will post a couple links at the bottom for more information. I would recommend mailing away for the permit as they will send you a current map of the area showing all the campgrounds and big lakes with your permit. From year to year, new lakes/ponds become accessible and occassionally some areas get closed. I will get out this spring and scout it out and give people updates such as what campgrounds we will be at. I generally take a bellyboat, I have in the past taken my mountain bike and gone off exploring down some of the old logging/mining roads which are closed to vehicles....I've found some beautiful ponds back in there! there is a very large beaver population down there and from year to year it's not unusual to find some old ponds drained and new ones formed. Last year, "Walkers Cay Chronicles" filmed an episode in the area at a place called "The Wilds" (see link) I won't go into details about the wilds, just to say that it isn't open to fishing without a permit and big bucks! I believe a fly shop in columbus has exclusive guide rights to it.....but who needs that when literally on the other side of the fence is 300 more free ponds and lakes available to be fished w/out the fear of being trampled by a herd of Rhinos......Anyway, here are the links:

www.thewilds.org
www.dnr.state.oh.us
www.aep.com/environmental/stewardship/recland/default.htm
www.madriveroutfitters.com (the flyshop that guides there...they have photos on their website of the wilds w/Flip Pallot

think about it!

Mike

#2 SmallieHunter

SmallieHunter

For I am Mullis...Lord of the idiots!

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,490 posts

Posted 11 March 2005 - 08:53 PM

I'm there headbang.gif

test

#3 ridderbos3

ridderbos3

"Sorry boss I seem to have anal glaucoma. I just cant see my ass going to work today"

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,676 posts

Posted 11 March 2005 - 11:58 PM

i am there as well. This is going to be great!

#4 hexfli

hexfli

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 143 posts

Posted 12 March 2005 - 01:51 PM

This might be too tempting...
-Love'em and Leave'em

-Whip it and Strip it-

Eli

Trophy Flies for Trophy Fish @ GreatLakesFly.com

SMALLIE-FEST 2010-May 21/22/23 2010-Huron County Michigan-BE THERE

"A little luck never hurt any fisherman..." ~Sig Hanson

#5 Mr. Jingles

Mr. Jingles

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 140 posts

Posted 14 March 2005 - 08:35 PM

Ohio, that's like, 6 hours from Massachusetts? rolleyes.gif I wish.

Cheers

Mr. Jingles

#6 MIKE*A

MIKE*A

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 967 posts

Posted 17 March 2005 - 08:29 PM

Additional info.:

Unlike most Ohio ponds/lakes which have poor visibility, many of these are spring fed and crystal clear........I generally fish w/a floating line as there is a lot of vege3tation due to the clear water. the top water action is great early morning/evening.....that time of the year, damsel/dragon flies all over the place.....quite common to see LM bass launching themselves into the air after these. In fact I actually had a bass hit one of my flies on a cast while it was still 2' above the water! Needless to say I missed it as i was caught totally off guard. Even during the heat of the day, I find plenty of action drifting across the lake and casting around some of the springs or shaded areas(it's easy to find the springs when you are drifting around in a belly boat). A lot of the smaller ponds are situated in meadows with tall grass and that time of the summer, the grasshoppers are decent sized and quite prolific.......

Mike

#7 Alex C.

Alex C.

Bait Fisherman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 17 March 2005 - 09:47 PM

As of right now count me in too headbang.gif

#8 cornmuse

cornmuse

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 466 posts

Posted 18 March 2005 - 09:02 AM

I've been fishing AEP, Avondale and Conesville for a long, long time. Some of the best bluegill fishing I've ever experienced. This is where I took my 12.5" long, 16" girth prize four years ago. I put her back in, I wonder how big she is now? Definitely a state record!

I'll be there.

Joe C.
"Live each season as it passes; breathe the air, drink the drink, taste the fruit,
and resign yourself to the influences of each."
- Henry David Thoreau

Visit Fly Fish Ohio for great fly fishing and fly tying articles, the "Adventures in Fly Tying" monthly video podcast and the "Adventures in Fly Fishing" monthly audio podcast. The Midwest isn't a place you fly over to get to good fishing - it's right here in our own backyards.

Think globally - fish locally.

#9 MIKE*A

MIKE*A

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 967 posts

Posted 21 March 2005 - 02:56 PM

That is a monster!!! Just about everytime I have been there, i have gotten into some big 'gills.........but nothing quite that big! Just curious Joe, did you get that at one of the easy access lakes or did you have to do some hoofin' to get it?

Mike

#10 hexfli

hexfli

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 143 posts

Posted 21 March 2005 - 03:30 PM

Are there special regulations for these lakes and ponds. Like catch and release, artifcials only, slot limits, or anything like that?

Just curious if they try to keep it a high quality fishery.

thanks
-Love'em and Leave'em

-Whip it and Strip it-

Eli

#11 MIKE*A

MIKE*A

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 967 posts

Posted 21 March 2005 - 04:05 PM

No special reg.s..........just the standard ODNR rules/reg.s/limits.........
It's kind of unique in that the ODNR patrols there as well as some private "rangers" employed by AEP.

Mike

#12 hexfli

hexfli

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 143 posts

Posted 21 March 2005 - 04:08 PM

Mike,

I just printed of the maps of the property. Is there a place that you are looking at for a 'base camp'? This is getting dangerous. I'm starting to get as excited for this trip as I do for Late Summer Kings on the Pere Marquette.

-Love'em and Leave'em

-Whip it and Strip it-

Eli

#13 MIKE*A

MIKE*A

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 967 posts

Posted 21 March 2005 - 04:26 PM

Yeah, for some reason campsite "K" comes to mind, but don't hold me to that.....I'll have to go home and check my old maps.........I have several editions w/notes scribbled all over them. I am going to get over there in the next month or so for a recon and I'll have a better idea then.......who knows, there may be some new areas opened up.......Cornmuse, feel free to throw in your $.02

Mike

#14 ridderbos3

ridderbos3

"Sorry boss I seem to have anal glaucoma. I just cant see my ass going to work today"

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,676 posts

Posted 21 March 2005 - 04:34 PM

is there a link to the map of the place?

#15 DFix

DFix

New and improved, guaranteed to handle 3.4 gigs of translation per minute!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,411 posts

Posted 21 March 2005 - 04:48 PM

QUOTE (Mr. Jingles @ Mar 14 2005, 08:35 PM)
Ohio, that's like, 6 hours from Massachusetts? rolleyes.gif I wish.

Cheers

Mr. Jingles

No, it's a lot longer than that, trust me dry.gif