Fly Tying
Travis Bille

WARNING- Scammer making the rounds on FF forums

Hi everyone,

It appears that a scammer, who goes by the name Newtyer1 has been making the rounds on various fly fishing forums, handing out a sob story about how he is a disabled veteran with a sick daughter, and people send him tying materials, rods, etc. He then turns around and sells them.

The Washington FF forum recently lit up with people who have tried to buy or sell rods and don't receive payment. Several people reported that they were moved by his story, so they sent him tying equipment, which he promptly sold on the same forum.

As the WFF forum was getting heated, people started coming in from Project Healing Waters and various east coast forums reporting the same type of thing. He apparently was contacting the vendors that support PHW, getting free gear (like 2 Orvis rods), and selling them.

On another forum, he put out a sob story about how he needed money so he could travel upstate to visit his dying daughter before her final operation. People donated over a thousand dollars, which he used to purchase a top of the line fly rod.

This is the link to the WFF thread.

http://washingtonflyfishing.com/forum/index.php?threads/request-for-help-recovering-payment-or-rod-from-newtyer1-aka-scott-martin.88506/

His name is Scott Martin and he apparently lives in Virginia. Don't fall for a scam.

If not for the generosity I encountered in my early days of fly fishing, I might not have stuck with it. People donating their old gear, flies, and knowledge is what keeps this sport going around. People like this jackass who exploit that cause a huge amount of damage to our sport.

And exploiting your service record to scam people out of money and possessions is beyond despicable, and a slap in the face to our veterans.

So please be on the lookout for this guy, and don't fall for his scam.

Guys like this need to be locked up. It really ticks me off to find that people feel that they can come into a close knit group of people and exploit them for everything that they have. The flyfising community is one of the nicest and most helpful community that i have ever met, then pricks like this guy come in and only see $$$$ from the generosity of the whole. I have also lived with and grown up with veterans and have a very high respect for them. Our vets do so much for our country and some even give the ultimate sacrifice for us.To pose as one of these Honnorary citizens is completely unacceptable by anyone in my book. Guys that do these kinds of things need to have some sense knocked into them and they just need to go **** off.

For the record, it sounds like he at least was in the military. He's just using his vet status to guilt people for his profit, which is highly unethical at best.

Nothing is sacred to a low-life. I live in Virginia and I will be sure and remember the name.

I thought the name sounded familiur. He use to be a member on FAOL and tried to get a bamboo rod from me that I sold last winter. Asked me about trading some stuff for the rod etc etc and I didn't want to deal with that so told him no. He also was taking part and supposedly helping out a guy on FAOL with cancer where people were going to donate a rod to the guy and this Newtyer1 was involved, and now I see he's banned from over there. Wonder if he screwed someone on FAOL too.

I watched this guys soap opera for a couple of years now.He was obvious. All I could do was shake my head.

"Stolen Valor" bothers me.

That doesn't sound like him. But it's a shame that this probably legitimate guy in St Louis is suspicious, isn't it?

Yeah,we have to just do the right thing for people and hope we aren't being taken advantage of.

2 YEARS???? WOW!!!!! My question isn't really about what kind of a monster this guy is but more of why in the world hasn't any of the victimized individuals reported this low life to the authorities? Not only is this type of alleged criminal behavior in violation of several state laws, he is committing multiple felonies by an alleged attempt of purposely conducting wire fraud across state lines. The best way to put an end to this is not just by making everyone aware of it. Shame on the victims for not protecting our communities by reporting this type of illegal conduct to the proper authorities. I have no doubt that forum owners would be more than happy to hand over any supporting documentation(dialogue from the alleged perpetuator) that demonstrates an individual is using the internet for alleged criminal activity. This is how one puts a stop to these sort of creeps! As a DAV, I take offense to those that try to use this status as a means of defrauding others for self gains but the law doesn't prevent some from just being malicious pity jerks!!!

I spent 15 years in the Marine Corps, blew out my knee a third time shredding the anterior cruciate ligament and ending my career. For that, I was only awarded 10% disability..about 129.00/month. I have never asked for anything, if it was something I wanted or needed, I paid for it. I wrote an email to one former Marine veteran (which I didn't know he was at the time) asking how much a system he developed called the RexFly, which I had seen on youtube, would cost as my shoulders have deteriorated and thought it might make it easier to cast with back in March 2012. He explained it was only in the developmental stage and didn't know how much it would cost with manufacturing etc. and said when he got it done, he would send me one free of charge as I was a Marine Brother. I was floored by his generosity and told him I would be more than happy to purchase one of these and pay any associated shipping, but he wouldn't hear of it. I offered to help him in any way possible with publicity, write ups of the project anything he needed and he said ok. I have posted it on warmfly.com a warmwater fly fishing site. But being so new here, and not knowing how it would be received, I have been hesitant to post anything about it. A few months ago, he posted it as a project to get funding on a site called Kickstarter.com. I immediately ordered one to payback the one he offered to send me free to help him get his project off the ground. He met the funding requirement and production started. Over the past year, we have communicated back and forth via email. He posted a video of how to set it up on youtube recently and he added a great chest pack to it. I asked him how much it would cost and ordered the chest pack last Tuesday. While I was reading posts here today, it all came in the mail. I guess my point on all of this is, if they were a stand up servicemember who pulled their own weight in the military and did their job with pride and professionalism, if they wanted something they would pay for it or be willing to, not beg or ask for things for free. And especially not expect something for nothing by using their past military status preying on this country's patriotic spirit to get things free. In my opinion, this type of person probably wasn't a stellar performer when in the military either. This is why I buy what I can, when I can, if I can and expect no one to just hand me stuff. And if someone wanted to send me something free or at a reduced rate, I would do my best to reciprocate with flies I tied for their style of fishing or help them in whatever way I could, not turn around and resell it. I will go further to state that there always exceptions to every case as some veterans have truly been left with nothing from trying to deal with the bureaucracy and all of the stumbling blocks the government has placed before them to be compensated for their injuries and possibly their lack of employability. But these things must be scrutinized carefully and a reasonable dialog back and forth for a while between the parties to assure you are not dealing with a scammer is probably the best option to not fall victim to this. If it is alright to post the links to the Rexfly system or product reviews etc. on here, could the site admin or owner drop me an email or pm as I am not sure of the protocol. The system was developed for people with disabilities (shoulder problems, missing or injured arms) to still be able to enjoy the sport of flyfishing.

I doubt if he is actually Military. Because the more I think about it I actually remember I had another dealings with him about 2 years ago where he did end up buying a glass 1wt custom rod from me and if memory serves correct he talked about being a college student etc etc.

I doubt if he is actually Military. Because the more I think about it I actually remember I had another dealings with him about 2 years ago where he did end up buying a glass 1wt custom rod from me and if memory serves correct he talked about being a college student etc etc.

Sounds like the guy is a pathological liar, cheat, thief, fraud, and any number of adjectives that we can throw at him. Hopefully, if he is reported, something will stick, and he'll do time.

Bill