Fly Tying
mybadhabit

May 2014 Swap Club

This month is Mayflies, lets see what you can come up with.

SM-mybadhabit

1. Riffleriversteelheadslayer - Received

2. joseph russell - Recieved

3. Crackleback - Received

4. Netabrookie - Received

5. fishingbobnelson - Received

6. xrayts -Received

7. shoebop - Received

8. border collies - Received

9. J-KNO - mailed - Received

10. Jolly Red - Received

11. IMX -Received

12. Breambuster - Received

I tied the RS 2, and they are ready to go into the mail if I can ever get a chance to make it to the Post Office. Hopefully Thursday.

BB

I have tied a Pale Evening Dun, spinner pattern for this month. I will have them in the mail later today. Meanwhile, here's a little info on the Heptagenia mayfly.

About Pale Evening Duns

Pale evening duns are clinger-type mayflies, so the nymphs inhabit moderate to fast flows with rocky bottoms. They are seldom available to trout until the hatch season, which ranges from June through September, depending on the locale.

When nearing maturity the nymphs migrate towards quiet water near shore, and you can drift a nymph near the bottom in these areas. Fishing the dun during a hatch is usually more productive, however. Since trout in slow water near the bank are particularly wary, your casts need to be precise and targeted to individual fish.

Spinners are important. Mating swarms gather over riffles and fast runs, and females dip their abdomens in the water to release their eggs. Spent spinners are usually swept into backeddies and other places where the current gathers drifting debris, and these are often the best places to cast a spinner imitation.

post-35746-0-38204800-1400514973_thumb.jpeg

Hi Guys,

Just thought I would pop in and see how everyone is doing? I think I was a member of this swap until I had to drop out due to car accident. Unfortunately, I haven't done much tyinig since February. Having some nerve problems from accident (hurt both shoulders and my wrists) and have numbness in my fingertips. Well, hard to do anything, much less tie flies with numb fingers. As they say, I have no feel. And tryit some time. Wrap a rubber band around your wrist until your fingers go numb, and then go tie a fly. Doesn't work too good, and please do not try my example, that was just more of a thought exercise.

Have a good one and I hope to be back tying soon, I hope.