Fly Tying
Mainard

Guinea Foul feathers

I was wondering what I could do with a bunch of feathers from a Guinea Hen that I was giving ? I'm thinking you can use them similar to a pheasant tail feather.Any thoughts.

Looks nice sparsely tied on a wet fly pattern in front of a fur wing, here's an October caddis pattern by Steve Bird (don't know if he's any relation to Cal Bird) from his Soft Hackle Journal website.P1060276%2B(640x508).jpg

No use whatsoever, just mail them to me for proper disposal.....rolleyes.gif If you have the loose feathers sort by size you will find a lot of uses, dye some, fun to experiment with both tying and dyeing.

I like guinea for hackles on steelhead flies like spades or green butt skunk variations. In smaller sizes I've used them as hackles on large (size 8) trout soft hackles also. The fibers seem pretty tough, so I guess you could use them to wrap nymph bodies like pheasant tail. Doesn't hurt to try it and see what it looks like.

Blast from the past....Gerbubble bug with Guinea wrapped around the deer hair sides....sportsfans...

IMG_3086.png

IMG_3085.png

Years ago when we had the manageri we had Guineas running around. Bout the dumbest birds around. If you incubated the eggs you better have some chicks to show then how to eat. And never let it rain on the poults cuz they would look up and might drown. Great watch dogs around the place, though. Go off when surprised.

Makes some nice tailing:

sVL4z6q.jpg

BLUE DEVIL JIG

PT/TB

Gorgeous tail.

added: this had me looking at my tails with a magnifying glass and thinking about the material and amount of fibers in the tail.