Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Dave G.

Question about a deer hair top water bass fly ?

A number of years ago my son bought a simple bass bug that caught large and small mouth readily. It was very basic, chartreuse in color overall, Seems to me it had a bit of orange on it as well, cigar shaped deer hair body with palmered brown hackle through it. It was not large, maybe only at most 2" long. It seems easy enough to tie but I can not recall if it had any kind of tag or tail at all on it. I don't think it had legs and so surprised me that it worked so well on bass. Does this sound familiar to anyone here ? I'd like to identify it and maybe get a pattern. It sure worked tremendously well in our local Cape Cod fresh waters and bass are really moving now here.

Probably not necessary, but that's the traditional bomber pattern. There's a another salmon pattern called the Bug. Same shape with wrapped hackle but no tail or wing. I tied that awhile ago, to use for smallmouth. Wing and tail are fine deer hair. I caught a few smallmouth on it. I believe the wing is suppose to create more of a wake when skittered or retrieved across the current.

Thanks makes sense and hey for what I can remember of this thing it may have had a wing.. The name Bomber does ring a bell more so than Bug..

Well I tied one up in all yellow yesterday using red thread and an olive saddle hackle. I used yellow calves tail for teh tail and wings. Went fishing this morning around 6:00. On the third cast I caught a small large mouth on that fly. Then some small fish messed with it from underneath. I then casted out over deeper water and twitched it a few times and about a 2lb smallie jumped it. I was using a 10' 4 wt I built this spring. It stripped line twice and went air born twice. Nice fish but I noticed it staining water with blood on the first few wiggles as it swam away. I tied that fly on a #2 bait hook and it's kind of a meat hook and the fish took it in the first gill raker so fairly deep in the mouth.. Well it might be fish hawk food by now, don't know. But it sure wanted the fly. I'll tie up some more on some smaller 2x or 3x long dry fly hooks, maybe size 6 or 4. It sure seems like it will do the job at any rate.

rlee.gif

Sorry but I haven't posted pictures in about three years now at least. Believe me it's not Davie McPhail quality anyway. Or flytire quality either.