Fly Tying
gmillardds

Streamer and other fly recommendations for Hybrids and Striped bass

I live in North Texas (Erath County and work in Weatherford) and am going to East Texas for the weekend before Thanksgiving to stay at the in-laws by lake Palestine. I fish in the Brazos below Possum Kingdom as a home water for Striped Bass and other species. I have been intrigued by some of the articulated streamers tied by Galloup and others and am wondering what people use with any measure of success. I would like to try a game changer, drunk and disorderly, or one of Galloup's. I have a marabou (head and tail) leach with Angora dubbing body and rainbow Krystal Flash (tail and sometimes head) in olive and black that works well off and on. Other than clousers what are people using? Is anyone trying articulated flies? I need to be able to get down to 10 feet and sometimes more based on what I hear from a conventional angler that is local. I have a full sink 7ips line by SA and a full float line on my 8wt.

post-62265-0-54427700-1510769564_thumb.jpg

Welcome to the site, Gmillard.

I hope you get some appropriate answers. Sometimes, we just get UN-lucky, and no one is actually from the area your going to. (I travel for work, and it happens to me all the time)

This time of year the bait fish are running large and a bigger shad imitation -- 1/0, 2/0 -- should do the job.

I would not mess with complex 'one-of' patterns but tie a mess of 'guide flies' -- quick and easy patterns with lots of movement like Deceivers and the old 'Blonde' - style bucktails on stout SS hooks. Stripers and Wipers on full prewinter gorge love them.

Rocco

I would go with something white with silver flash, on the assumption that there is some type of shad in the lake. A buck tail deceiver. This is one I tied up a while back.

post-309-0-76697600-1510776622_thumb.jpg

It was intended as a shad/bunker imitation for stripers and bluefish. If I were tying it today, I'd probably use less olive in the pattern. If you have the buck tail it's not that difficult to tie. Below is a link to tying it.

Another fly I would use is the Semper Fleye. Another Bob Popovics pattern. Even easier to tie than the buck tail Deceiver. Tail is white buck tail with silver or pearl flash tied around it and 4 to 7 saddle hackles tied around it. Body is schapplen or webby saddle hackle. I do a variation of it. I tie my flash in at the tail and alternate the wrapped feathers with pearl estaz. This is what mine looks like. It's a bit more complicated and I use eyes and this picture a prop. Works with or without.

post-309-0-54620300-1510777936_thumb.jpg

Below is the link to Popovics tying the Semper fleye

Just saw this design on Youtube.

Keeled Jerk Tutorial

It should also do the job if you have long fiber craft fur on hand. It is an easy tie if you cut the extraneous blah-blah from the video.

Rocco

I have more experience with the non hybrid striper. I like EP bait fish peanut butter style flies but whatever you do - don't leave home without a handful of clousers or flash tail clousers. The important thing is to get to the fish and this is why I think the clouser has an advantage. good luck and tight lines.

I have no experience with fishing Texas and I have never fished for striped bass in a lake. I have however fished extensively in the salt for stripers and live to fish their spawning runs up our freshwater rivers. First I would suggest use what works for you in your home waters. After that I would recommend three flies that are staples on the east coast for the saltwater striper and are quick and easy to tie.

The first being a deceiver. A real deceiver with saddle hackles for the tail and bucktail for the body. Second, the world famous clouser minnow and third, the half and half which is nothing more then a fly that's half deceiver and half Clouser. Even when I'm spin fishing I will use a deceiver on a dropper along with whatever I'm fishing. My colors are simple. Lots of white, some with yellow in them and some with green in them.

Possibly the freshwater variety are more selective than the saltwater striper but these three flies would be in my bag anytime I was fishing for striped bass.

Mega Rattling Murdich Minnow

btn_close_window.gif

mega.12.11.jpg

These might do the job too, especially in the colors on the bottom ranks.

Rocco.

I used to live in Texas and learned that bigger (i.e. giant articulated) isn't always better. I've had some great fishing days throwing a size 1 or 1/0 baitfish imitation when the really big flies weren't getting the job done. There's group out of Houston that has a few patterns on their site and these are both quick ties.

https://texasflyfishers.org/fly-patterns/mr-whitebait/

https://texasflyfishers.org/fly-patterns/sce-shad/

Thanks for all of the replies everyone. I have been looking at a dave whitlock wool shad pattern and some Dan Blanton articles for suggestions as well.

I used to live in Texas and learned that bigger (i.e. giant articulated) isn't always better. I've had some great fishing days throwing a size 1 or 1/0 baitfish imitation when the really big flies weren't getting the job done. There's group out of Houston that has a few patterns on their site and these are both quick ties.

https://texasflyfishers.org/fly-patterns/mr-whitebait/

https://texasflyfishers.org/fly-patterns/sce-shad/

Do you have a pic of the whitebait fly? I am not sure if a pic is only available to members or if there isn't one.