Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Steeldrifter

Fall Au Sable pike

Spent Friday tying up some flies for pike, after six hours of non stop double haul casting the 10wt on the river Saturday I came home with a box full of chewed up pike flies and wire tippets bent into what resembles a slinky, so I guess you could say Saturday's fishing was a pretty good day ;)

It was cold, windy, and a bit of rain but that all makes for perfect fall pike weather. All in all I'd say around twenty different pike followed, chased, slashed at or ate my flies, many of them exploding on the fly right at my feet which always makes for an exciting take on the fly. Sizes ran from as small as 20" on up to about 33" but they were all active and wanted to kill the streamer. Best thing about it, there was not another person in sight, it was just me the river and some aggressive fall fish, gotta love the river at this time of the year!

VOYEAt.jpg
PYneX0.jpg
WluX7M.jpg
qiVT2i.jpg
4VLNKW.jpg
3NAtUa.jpg
fcFVfc.jpg
A3Q46j.jpg
8mEyVr.jpg
xpYyCI.jpg

I grew up casting flies to "slime schiesters" like those. I loved October and November pike fishing. After a day like that I bet your hands still smell today, and those gloves might never stop smelling.

Blind casting big flies on a 10 weight all day would send me to the physical therapist. I see a two hander on the rocks in one photo, did you give it a go?

Blind casting big flies on a 10 weight all day would send me to the physical therapist. I see a two hander on the rocks in one photo, did you give it a go?

Trust me I need a Doc big time man even right now. I've had a bum rotator cuff for the past 5 yrs now, and after non stop dble hualin' a 6" long fly on a 200grain sink tip for 6hrs my shoulder is so jacked up I am actually sitting here with a microwave bed buddy heating pad on it as I type (not kidding).

I took the two hander because I wanted to give it a go and add a pike to the two handed rod list but the action was so furious I couldn't bring myself to stop long enough to rig up a 2nd rod lol

hi Steve.. i don,t know how much you use the two hander but when i did i never went back. what a difference..everything is so much easier and no aches and pains.

Ben I just built the two hander for myself and one for my fishing buddy this spring, but I tell ya what, I agree 100%....We started using them for trout (I built 12ft 5/6wts) back in April, and I bet I used the two hander for trout 90% of the time this summer, and even started using it for bass on the river about 30% of the time. I've only been into spey for about 5 months now but I love it man, I'm hooked for sure.

whenever i see someone spey or skagit casting they are standing in the water, never in a boat or even a kick boat..my kick boat would look like a pin cushion holder in no time.lol. tthese old legs would not have a chance in the water..but it does look like a fun way to fish..oh, and i only weigh 130#-wet, not enough to stay anchored.lol.

Cool Steve ( literally too, looks cold) ! You guys must be about ready for some snow out your way, anytime now ?

Yeah ... I'm agreeing with Dave here. I saw the pictures last night. I was actually on the phone with Steve when I clicked onto the page. My first impression was ... "Nice fish!" Immediately following that was ... "He's wearing a pretty thick COAT !!!"

It's too cold, when you have to wear a coat ... period.

FLORIDA RULES !!!

Oh, and Steve ... Nice fish !!!

Yeah ... I'm agreeing with Dave here. I saw the pictures last night. I was actually on the phone with Steve when I clicked onto the page. My first impression was ... "Nice fish!" Immediately following that was ... "He's wearing a pretty thick COAT !!!"

It's too cold, when you have to wear a coat ... period.

FLORIDA RULES !!!

Oh, and Steve ... Nice fish !!!

I used to do that Mike, back when I was in my 30's and 40's up till they started introducing my body to blood pressure meds. Now when I get cold I stay that way.. Since i'm pushing on to 68 yo I doubt I'll be reverting back the other way at this point. Now even in the boat or canoe I prefer a day where I can wear shorts.. I almost mentioned to Steve in my last post to enjoy this while he is still young LOL ! But there is some great fishing to be had up here in New England too in Nov and even Dec. otherwise. Right now I'm in my house with the pellet stove going, it's 74 in here, I'm in a T shirt and no soxs on. NIce !.

happy.png shorts and a tee shirt ... aaaaaaaahhhhhhh. Anything below 70 is cold. 70 to 80 is cool. 80 to about 95 is comfortable. 100 is a bit high, even for me.

hi Steve.. i don,t know how much you use the two hander but when i did i never went back. what a difference..everything is so much easier and no aches and pains.

STEELIE!

Sorry for shouting but after reading 'bout your trip, my shoulder hurts.

Not sure if you have enough back-cast room for overhead casting with a switch rod but if so, give it try next time.

An ortho doc told me years ago that joints are like tires - just so many miles on them ☺

Nice trip you had there, wish I was with you as fly fishing for snot rockets is my favorite.