Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
HighPlainsDrifter

Dollar Store Wrapping Paper Spoon

I should have taken a picture before I got it wet, but here is a video of the spoon I have been working on. It is comprised of wrapping paper, chain eyes, marabou, and gold flash. Im very happy with the way this turned out and it is very easy to tie compared to some of the others that I've tried (mylar braid, epoxy). I think I nailed it and I am about to make up several for my buddies wink.gif I've got a few ideas to add, top to the list is a couple of red deer hairs on each side to mimic a bleeding fish, and a weed guard.

http://youtu.be/ORhZBrxQJVQ

Got any close up pics? It looks like you may be on to something.

Here is a picture of the fly in the video while still in the vise, and right after I pulled it out of the water.

image_zps5ba38091.jpg

image_zps0eca8927.jpg

Here are pictures of a different fly with the added options mentioned earlier. I will wet test this new one tonight.

image_zps560f3055.jpg

image_zpsb6bf8440.jpg

I am extremely new to this, but I fully expect this fly to produce for me.

That's a great looking spoon. I'd be interested to see how it holds up after a fish or two; durability can be a big issue with lightweight materials.

That's a great looking spoon. I'd be interested to see how it holds up after a fish or two; durability can be a big issue with lightweight materials.

Thanks! Its super easy to tie up so I can always make more. If a couple of fish tear it up, I'll be ecstatic! It does have a coat of epoxy and Hard as Nails so hopefully it will last through a handful of fish.

Looks like it'll catch fish to me. You'll have to let us know how it holds up.

I have gotten lazy and use fake fingernails…. I get some funny looks at the dollar store when I check out, but that could be my short dress and heels.

DSCF0197.jpg

Those sure will work guys have been using halographic tape to make spoons for quite some time now and as Peter pointed out they tend to be less durable but as High Plains pointed out, they are relatively quick to tie so that can makeup for the lack of durability.

As for the fake nails, leave it to Dave to make a fly that looks like a cross between a tube of lipstick, a bullet and a condom, with two balls!

Peter, did I ever send you any spoons?

Kirk

Kirk, I think Dave has left the realm of "fly tying" at this point. He really needs to get back out on the water and quit laying around the house in his sequined gowns reading Cosmo

Cosmo is good, keeps me in touch with important women's issues…feelings are important for proper communication.

Six weeks and counting.

Hey Panama, those ain't funny looks, they are leers.

What is the best size to use for a spoon for the proper action?

Ditz, not to answer for Panama but I've gone down to size #6 on spoons and had them work pretty well on panfish. For that small size, I like using a mono frame and UV Resin topcoated with 30 min cure epoxy.

Kirk

Those sure will work guys have been using halographic tape to make spoons for quite some time now and as Peter pointed out they tend to be less durable but as High Plains pointed out, they are relatively quick to tie so that can makeup for the lack of durability.

As for the fake nails, leave it to Dave to make a fly that looks like a cross between a tube of lipstick, a bullet and a condom, with two balls!

Peter, did I ever send you any spoons?

Kirk

Nope, no spoons - I've been making do with forks, but they just don't have the same action. (LOL)

This thread has got me thinking. (hey, it doesn't happen often, but it DOES happen) I've done a bit of mostly unsuccessful experimenting with reflective materials, and one thing I really like is opalescent origami paper. It's beautiful stuff, but the secret to making a durable fly has eluded me so far. I think I'm gonna try some double-sided tape between sheets and give it another shot. Maybe try a Liquid Fusion coat instead of epoxy. It's frustrating as hell to make a fly that gets chomped by the fish, yet falls apart the first time it hits a rock.

gigging forks are a lot cheaper than a fly outfit......

I have 4 Kirks's type tensile tube spoons started and just sitting on my tying bench in my way......I just can't seem to stick my fingers into the epoxy to soak the things with the sticky goo. .....I know, I am just a big sissy

OK, you guys got me, but at least I was using a barbless gig. Anything else would be unsportsmanlike.

Ray, if you dip your fingers in water containing a little dishwashing liquid, it shouldn't be quite so scary, even for a wuss like yourself. Plus, you can use the leftover water to wash out your thong - those things can get pretty gamy after a couple of weeks.