Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
DrLogik

Let's see your fly tying travel kits!

I am seriously "in to" this sort of thing. I like to recreate things from yesteryear...and, equip them with materials from yesteryear also. Chawick's 477 yarn (the real thing), Pearsall's Orange 6b silk thread, Pharmacist Formula head cement, vintage hooks, etc.

I have three of them: small, medium and large and another small one that I put together as a youngster but have relegated to the collection shelf.

Here is my current small kit. I modeled it after the kit that a fellow member posted pictures on in a thread on another forum back in April 2015 that belonged to Datus Proper. You can read about that very box in Proper's book, "What the Trout Said" at the beginning of Chapter 12 "Notes on Fly Tying". I think that is just a really cool tying kit! I'm currently reading that book and it's a fabulous read!

See that one here (scroll most of the way down):

Mine is also a "Common Sense" fly wallet to which I added a blank Wheatley box to hold tools, thread, wax, etc.

wallet-1.jpg

-

wallet-2.jpg

-

wallet-3.jpg

-

wallet-4.jpg]

Here is my medium box. It's a "Bug Box" I think. I got it on that auction site probably 8 or 10 years ago for cheap. I love this thing as it carries everything I need to tie just about any fly I'll ever fish.

box1.jpg

-

bugbox3.jpg

And last, here is the one I put together as a young teenager back in the 1970's. It's now sitting on my collection shelf...retired.

I think it an old Orvis Stream-side Kit. I wrapped cards with thread and floss, included some feathers and dubbing, a few hooks a cheap pair of scissors (since replaced with Dr. Slick's), etc. I carried this on every fishing outing, vacation, etc. when I was a young lad.

oldflykit-1.jpg

-

oldflykit-2.jpg

-

oldflykit-3.jpg

post-19662-0-37649400-1498256420_thumb.jpgpost-19662-0-09850800-1498256445_thumb.jpgpost-19662-0-93324700-1498256832_thumb.jpg

Homebuilt and heavy, next design will be 1/2" or 3/8" plywood sides ( vs 3/4 hardwood) with 1/4 ply top bottom. Has served me well for years, primary use, on camping trips, meetings, I do not store material in box when not in use. Always looking at other idea's thought about a stacked version on 2 wheels like a dolly. Tying station to open at table height with storage below. Any comments? Always thinking for improvements.

McFly,

If I get you drunk there's no telling what you'll decide to show me. C'mon man, how, uh, "personal" can a fly tying kit be?.....

I was making a joke... don't mind me... my humor is weird.

I would show you my kit, but like a skinny chick at the bar would say when you ask to see her t!ts (get it, kits?) I actually don't have any travel kits...

Usually take this with on business trips. Maxpedition Organizer with a Renzetti Apprentice vise.

GtFNCjAl.jpg?1

Holds a selection of TSA approved tools, magnifier glasses, container for the finished product, etc.

uQOLJHrl.jpg

Throw in some materials and I can tie in my free time.

bHqSVK8l.jpg

post-12074-0-13131900-1498430324_thumb.jpg

post-12074-0-77594700-1498430386_thumb.jpg

post-12074-0-83168200-1498430461_thumb.jpg

post-12074-0-78686100-1498430480_thumb.jpg

I made up two of these kits a few years ago. They are 4" by 4" by 1", and they are so small, I can't find them now. This year, I took my "medium" size kit. It is 6, by 9" soft sided case with plastic zip lock folders in 3 ring binders. Holds a LOT of stuff. I borrow a vise when I get where I am going.

post-12074-0-87435000-1498430875_thumb.jpg

post-12074-0-23942300-1498430841_thumb.jpg

post-12074-0-96342200-1498430854_thumb.jpg

post-12074-0-08846100-1498430889_thumb.jpg

Usually take this with on business trips. Maxpedition Organizer with a Renzetti Apprentice vise.

GtFNCjAl.jpg?1

Holds a selection of TSA approved tools, magnifier glasses, container for the finished product, etc.

uQOLJHrl.jpg

Throw in some materials and I can tie in my free time.

bHqSVK8l.jpg

Just wondering what the TSA will let you take on a plane these days?

Everything you can see there goes on the plane in my carry on bag. No bodkin, no razor blades, no head cement/adhesives (though I could put it with my shaving kit stuff). It's all been domestic travel between major airports but no problem so far.

I once had them confiscate a package of hooks.

I pack all my tying stuff in my suitcase ... checked luggage.

I once had them confiscate a package of hooks.

I pack all my tying stuff in my suitcase ... checked luggage.

Probably because barbed objects are deemed dangerous..... lmao