Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  

Keel streamers

Got some weighted worm hooks tried some reverse deals. The black ones are my version of "redfish crack" that I guy has luck with in black. My version.... My problem is I'm incorrigible....gotta put eyes even though prolly a shrimp/crab fly...

IMG_2136.jpg

They look great! I've tied some flatwing Deceivers on offset worm hooks, and some other types of patterns, but nothing on weighted hooks.

I like them! I'll have to scare up some weighted hooks and give it a try. Warm water and salt water, you need bait fish imitations that can hug the bottom or swim at mid level. I think those will do the job.

Eyes are great! Another trigger for aggressive predators.

I have a ton of keel weighted hooks. I pour them for spin fishing rubber swim baits. Will you fly cast them? If so on what weight rod? I like those ties a lot so I think I'll tie some up but for my spinning rod. can you really fly fish them?

Nice ones Denduke.

For spin fishing in saltwater, the weighted would work rigged as a point fly with a dropper teaser on top.

I also have a mold for making the weighted hooks, but not sure I would try casting them with my fly gear. I think 1/16 oz is the lightest I can mold. I've added lead wire to some I've tied, which has been plenty of weight. When I do that I over wrap it with braided body materials like Diamond Braid or mylar tubing and often epoxy coat the body to add extra durability.

I bet those scud shaped tungsten weights would work great for keeling your own worm hooks rather than buying the preweightef ones which might be too heavy.

I bet those scud shaped tungsten weights would work great for keeling your own worm hooks rather than buying the preweightef ones which might be too heavy.

That's a great idea! I have some I haven't used for anything, so maybe I'll give it a try. biggrin.png I've got molds for making removable sinkers too, so they might be worth trying and certainly cheaper than the tungsten if I lose them. Some are as small as those tungsten scud weights too. smile.png

I hope I remember this! sad.png

Youse guys were right! Tried em on a 9wt dis AM....Brrr it's cold here in Dixie today. Was able to cast them but not fun cuz they are indeed heavey. The ones w/o weights did lots better and the hour glass lead eye was even lil heavey. These Worm hooks are heavey wire so really no need for keel weights....they tracked well. Prolly be better to do traditional leadeye clousers cuz more shank to tie the strands/ hair than on the short worm hook deals. BTW...tied the weighted on spin rig and indeed cast pretty far with 12#BigGame mono.

Denduke, find you some VMC 7319 worm hooks in 1/0. They have a longer front section than most, so more room to tie on. They're also not as heavy as some other models, or as costly so work well for flies.

I only add some lead wire to get them to sink faster when using a floating line. Otherwise, I would throw them with a sinking line. Never really had much issues with getting them to keel properly.

Somebody said need purple for redfish!

IMG_2204.jpg

Jazzed the head by wrapping the purple flash over the head then Solarez....

IMG_2202.jpg