Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

Benchside reference book

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 steeldrifter

steeldrifter

When I grow up, I'm moving to Florida !!!

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,756 posts

Posted 30 September 2004 - 10:16 PM

Dont know if this has been posted before but even if it has it deserves to be mentioned again.

I just got this book yesterday and MY GOD i cant believe i have been getting by without it all these years. This book is THE book for tying...i'm sure alot of you have it already but all i can say is if you dont have it then GET IT. I could throw out all my other books and just use this one from now on.

Excellent book!!

SD

mcfr.jpg
Owner- Steve Clark
Midwestcustomflyrods.com

Better to have a short life that is full of what you like doin, than a long life spent in a miserable way- Alan Watts

#2 mozes

mozes

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 797 posts

Posted 01 October 2004 - 07:44 AM

I will second that. This is the BEST book for fly tying. If you ever wonder how do I do that, this book will have one or two diferrent ways of doing it. I read this book from cover to cover and still look at it when trying something new. headbang.gif
David
www.vulcanzone.com

#3 artimus

artimus

What? a fly swap?..... I'M IN!!!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 801 posts

Posted 01 October 2004 - 07:51 AM

What is the isp number? Sounds like a winner.

Art
My goal in life is to be as good a person as my dog already thinks I am.
----- Unknown -----

#4 Kingfisher

Kingfisher

It's better to have a rod and not need it than need a rod and not have it

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 461 posts

Posted 01 October 2004 - 08:01 AM

I agree; the book is loaded with information. I don't think I could ever get through the entire thing!
Chris
Marine Scientist
NYC, Jersey Shore, Eastern PA, occasionally Downeast Maine

Big fish don't get big by being stupid.

#5 mcfly

mcfly

><> ><> ><> ><> ><>

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,244 posts

Posted 01 October 2004 - 08:07 AM

user posted image

http://www.greencadd...products_id=477
To avoid situations in which you might make mistakes may be the biggest mistake of all. - Peter McWilliams

#6 steeldrifter

steeldrifter

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,756 posts

Posted 01 October 2004 - 02:19 PM

Art i tell ya bud i could throw away my stack of other tying books and just keep this one and i'd still have twice the info as all the rest..this things a must have, i dont know i must have been living in a cave till now blink.gif wink.gif

mcfr.jpg
Owner- Steve Clark
Midwestcustomflyrods.com

Better to have a short life that is full of what you like doin, than a long life spent in a miserable way- Alan Watts

#7 Fishigan

Fishigan

Is that a chick?...Yesss..NOOO!!....Yesss!!!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 898 posts

Posted 02 October 2004 - 10:27 AM

Well if you want to throw them away throw them this way and I'll see to it for ya.

#8 Peddler

Peddler

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 357 posts

Posted 02 October 2004 - 03:50 PM

I got the first pressing of this book, signed by both authors for about $60.00 when they came out. I REALLY stuck my neck out on this one! $60.00 for a BOOK? My wife thinks this white boy is NUTS! This book is like having the finest tyers in the world who specialize in all aspects of tying at your side! It IS that good!
That said, there isn't one recipe in this book so I wouldn't toss my other tying tomes.

#9 Fatman

Fatman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,588 posts

Posted 02 October 2004 - 03:56 PM

I have it and it's great, but I'm a junkie about books so it probably won't be the last.

Fatman
Just Fishing! All life is that to some extent. If we are not fishing for one thing it is another. But angling! That's just a bit different. In it we find peace and contentment and much with which to occupy our minds. May the balance of our fishing days be blessed with congenial comrades and "tight lines." Ray Bergman

#10 OSD

OSD

Doing things the old way

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,714 posts

Posted 02 October 2004 - 04:10 PM

It's the best tying technique books I know of, and you can learn allot for it.

OSD.
user posted image

#11 rscconrad

rscconrad

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 121 posts

Posted 16 November 2004 - 01:08 PM

Agreed,

Subscribe to Fly Fishing and tying for 5 years and you get it for free.

Not bad if yo get htae magazine anyhow

Robert

#12 Joe Hard

Joe Hard

Will Work For Bolgna

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,829 posts

Posted 16 November 2004 - 05:20 PM

Is ther not a video or CDROM of the same name,and has anyone seen it?
My Webpage - http://joehardflytying.4t.com/ (WARNING LOTS OF POP UPS)

This fella will be pleased with your work, if not hes damn nuts, and should be beat with a stick!! fly time

"All it takes is one fool to be standing arround doing something, for a bunch of other fools to join in"......a quote from an old Newfoundlander I met fishing in the pooring rain

#13 steeldrifter

steeldrifter

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,756 posts

Posted 16 November 2004 - 05:35 PM

Yes there is a CDrom of the book and i also have that. Personaly i found the CD rom to be a bid hard to navigate myself and the only thing about that is unless your tying station is next to your computer you cant actually refere to it while your tying without printing it out. And printer ink gets a bit expensive after printing all the info you would like to have, but thats just my feelings on the CDrom.

SD

mcfr.jpg
Owner- Steve Clark
Midwestcustomflyrods.com