Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
xXMadFireXx

Tying Bench

Hung out my with old man today and threw together a tying bench. Turned out pretty good for copying the pattern from some pictures Simon posted. Still have to drill some holes for my tools on the side rails... Just thought I'd share the photo.

EDC10829-092E-4B1D-9993-7E37E4B6A986.jpg

That's real nice. Trying to build something like that would send me to the emergency room to try and reattach severed body parts. I'm not too good with wood or sharp tools…

Looks functional. I like the color ... red oak stain? Are you going to put urethane or some other finish on it? If you do, I'd recommend a matte finish to keep the glare down. I'd put a small back on it, just a 1/2 inch or so, to keep dropped beads etc, from rolling off the back.

The color is "gun stock" I expected it to come out a little more brown than it did... I may add another coat not sure yet.

You guys would take a dim view of my cobbled together particle board and pine monstrosity but it works for me and it bothers me not when I spill head cement or glue or paint on it. It just improves the surface finish and adds character. It currently sits on my tying desk but before that I used it on the dining table. I did put felt on the bottom runners to protect the dining table. I can also sit in my lazyboy with it in my lap and tie. Head cement does not improve the surface finish of my lazyboy however.

Don't be so hard on your tying bench, Ditz ... we take a dim view of MOST of the things you do !!!

But I do agree with you. Head cement, super glue, Elmer's Glue ... these things improve the surface of most work benches.