Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

Travel fly rods

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 flyfishingtaz

flyfishingtaz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 508 posts

Posted 23 April 2011 - 04:20 PM

Does anyone know of any good fly rods in an 8wt under 200$. I had a link for one I wanted to get before I had a computer crash, and no longer have the link. I've done a google search for travel rods, but have only found rods for over 200$. I have a tiny car, so would want a rod I can keep in the car, and not have to worry about having to move the rod around all the time, or even taking it out of the car when other people want to get in. Thanks for the look.
I love farm ponds!! You can catch gills all day, and not care about hooking into a bigger

MY BLOG

#2 NJFlyMAn

NJFlyMAn

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,049 posts

Posted 23 April 2011 - 04:33 PM

QUOTE (flyfishingtaz @ Apr 23 2011, 05:20 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Does anyone know of any good fly rods in an 8wt under 200$. I had a link for one I wanted to get before I had a computer crash, and no longer have the link. I've done a google search for travel rods, but have only found rods for over 200$. I have a tiny car, so would want a rod I can keep in the car, and not have to worry about having to move the rod around all the time, or even taking it out of the car when other people want to get in. Thanks for the look.

I would talk with Steeldrifter of Midwest Custom Fly Rods, and see if he can build you one. He definitely does quality work, and he should be able to build you a rod in the specs you need.

#3 SilverCreek

SilverCreek

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,235 posts

Posted 23 April 2011 - 05:19 PM

This is what I would buy. You get a 4 piece rod plus an extra tip for under $120.00

https://catalog.thef...gpta6bapv61etjp
Regards,

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy

http://tinyurl.com/lgkbu7v

#4 JSzymczyk

JSzymczyk

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,366 posts

Posted 23 April 2011 - 06:36 PM

most any 4 piece rod should be small enough , even in a hard case, to be tucked away in a tiny car. You could even attach some velcro to the overhead and velcro the rod up between the seats completely out of the way. Lots and lots of options under $200.

the gales of November remembered...

#5 Roadkill

Roadkill

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 24 April 2011 - 01:25 PM

I have been pleased with a collection of Cabelas Stowaway rods including 8 wts and they are on sale.
Who speaks for the fish?

#6 TheCream

TheCream

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,628 posts

Posted 25 April 2011 - 08:31 AM

I would also agree that a regular 4-piece rod would most likely be more than small enough to pack in a car. My last two rods I bought have been 4-piece, and the convenience factor during travel is a big plus for me. My 2-piece 5wt is a lot more of a bear to pack around than either 4-piece rod. A typical 4-piece rod tube would come in around 2.5' long, or less, depending on total rod length.

#7 utyer

utyer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,192 posts

Posted 25 April 2011 - 12:12 PM

Since I travel a lot when I go fishing, all my rods are now "travel" rods. In the last 6 or 7 years, I have sold off all my two piece rods. I have 2 cabelas (LST, and a Stowaway,) one Orvis (Frequent Flyer,) and a Sage RPL, and an Echo. The last two are three piece rods, and the others are 4, 78, and 6 pieces. They are all good performance for the dollar, and all have replacement policies that work. I broke two rods on the same trip two years ago. I can carry on all my rods these days, and 4, 6, and 7 piece rods all fit in the wheel well in the back of my CRV. The tire is on the back, and the floor lifts up, all my fishing gear is under there out of site.
"We have met the ememy, and he is us." Pogo by Walt Kelly

#8 vonbur

vonbur

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 25 April 2011 - 04:29 PM

QUOTE (utyer @ Apr 25 2011, 01:12 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Since I travel a lot when I go fishing, all my rods are now "travel" rods. In the last 6 or 7 years, I have sold off all my two piece rods. I have 2 cabelas (LST, and a Stowaway,) one Orvis (Frequent Flyer,) and a Sage RPL, and an Echo. The last two are three piece rods, and the others are 4, 78, and 6 pieces. They are all good performance for the dollar, and all have replacement policies that work. I broke two rods on the same trip two years ago. I can carry on all my rods these days, and 4, 6, and 7 piece rods all fit in the wheel well in the back of my CRV. The tire is on the back, and the floor lifts up, all my fishing gear is under there out of site.

I agree with utyer. I only use and make my own cane rods, but they are all 3 and 4 piece travle rods, unless they are 6' to 6 1/2 or under, then I can get away with packing a two piece.

When I travle I usually take two of each weight so I have a backup if disaster strikes. There is nothing worse than being caugh hundreds of miles from cililization with a broken rod and no backup when the trout are on.

2} 2weights 6 to 6 1/2' feet 2 piece
2} 3weights 7 to 8' feet 3 piece
2} 4weights 8 to 9' feet 3 or 4 piece. All with extra tips. I also carry extra thread and crazy glue for on the spot repairs. As long as it holds up long enough to get through the trip, Im happy

Some times I'll carry a 5weight as an extra for others to use. That pretty much covers me for any trout waters or wind conditions.

#9 Voodoo

Voodoo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 311 posts

Posted 26 April 2011 - 08:16 AM

Redington classic trout comes in a 6pc and a life time warranty.
the fish wasnt too small, you just used a big rod!

I <3 000 rods