Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

Fishing report : 4/24/11

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 Flytyer14

Flytyer14

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,343 posts

Posted 24 April 2011 - 02:47 PM

Well here's my first fish ever on a fly!! I also had two strikes from stockies, All of this was on the infamous pink worm!!

Water Temp: 61.5 (my thermometer might be bad..)
Wind: Light Gusts
Skies: Thickly Clouded
Air Temp: 69 F
Fish Caught: 1

(If there is something I missed in my report let me know!)

Attached Files

-Mark Varga

Tyer for 5 years!!

I specialize in tying Classic Salmon Flies as well as some of the more generic trout patterns.

If anyone has a question or is in need of any materials, I can try to point you in the right direction.

#2 Flytyer14

Flytyer14

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,343 posts

Posted 24 April 2011 - 02:48 PM

Also what on earth is that fish called?!?!
-Mark Varga

Tyer for 5 years!!

I specialize in tying Classic Salmon Flies as well as some of the more generic trout patterns.

If anyone has a question or is in need of any materials, I can try to point you in the right direction.

#3 NoSlack

NoSlack

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 227 posts

Posted 24 April 2011 - 04:08 PM

QUOTE (Flytyer14 @ Apr 24 2011, 03:48 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Also what on earth is that fish called?!?!

Looks like a creek chub to me. Could be wrong...

Tight lines!!

#4 Flytyer14

Flytyer14

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,343 posts

Posted 24 April 2011 - 04:10 PM

Thanks, that's what I'm thinking it is.

-Mark Varga

Tyer for 5 years!!

#5 NJFlyMAn

NJFlyMAn

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,049 posts

Posted 24 April 2011 - 04:47 PM

Fly14. Great fishing report, Nice to see one from you. Keep fishing with the fly rod. It will pay off soon and good choice on fly selection. Stockies just love that darn fly.

#6 Dustin Guyette

Dustin Guyette

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 359 posts

Posted 24 April 2011 - 06:12 PM

thats a pretty big chub bugeyes.gif
"Here we go!!!" - Shelby Stanga

#7 smalliestalker

smalliestalker

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 589 posts

Posted 24 April 2011 - 08:37 PM

congrats man...I told you it would be your turn soon...
standing in a river waving a stick
http://www.spanglefish.com/subbuggin
http://gotbronze.blogspot.com
www.facebook.com/theinkedfisherman
www.flyrecipes.com

#8 jhammer

jhammer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 397 posts

Posted 24 April 2011 - 09:45 PM

Congrats on your first fly rod fish! I'm not sure if it's a creek chub though. The ones I've caught had smaller scales and looked a little different. Looks to be some kind of chub though. Maybe it's a Fallfish. Ah well....Congrats again! headbang.gif

#9 Odaon

Odaon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 114 posts

Posted 24 April 2011 - 10:59 PM

Congrats, any fish is better than none. My guess on the fish species would be a red shiner or some other type of shiner. I don't know all the east coast species.

#10 riffleriversteelheadslayer

riffleriversteelheadslayer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,224 posts

Posted 24 April 2011 - 11:04 PM

way to go Mark

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".--Thomas Jefferson

There is no such thing as a blank day for a fisherman. It will be saved for him by the white-throated weasel, who watches his fishing from a hole in the wall under which is lying a fish that refused all flies; or by the excitment of identifying insects; or by the apple-bloosom in a nearby orchard; and no one would call that day a blank on which he has seen a king-fisher." -- Arthur Ransome Rod and Line, 1929

#11 Flytyer14

Flytyer14

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,343 posts

Posted 25 April 2011 - 12:47 PM

Thanks Guys.
-Mark Varga

Tyer for 5 years!!

#12 feathers5

feathers5

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 818 posts

Posted 25 April 2011 - 01:12 PM

congratulations, mark. keep fishing.

#13 firedad

firedad

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 209 posts

Posted 25 April 2011 - 10:50 PM

Wow! You've got more than 2000 posts on this site and I joined your beginner fly swap so I assumed you've been fly fishing for a while.

How long have you been tying flies?

Congrats on your first fish on a fly,

firedad0 Jeremy O. (fly fishing/tying newbie)

#14 JohnP

JohnP

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,044 posts

Posted 26 April 2011 - 11:43 AM

QUOTE (firedad @ Apr 25 2011, 08:50 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Wow! You've got more than 2000 posts on this site and I joined your beginner fly swap so I assumed you've been fly fishing for a while.

How long have you been tying flies?

Congrats on your first fish on a fly,

firedad0 Jeremy O. (fly fishing/tying newbie)

You should check out some of Mark's flies under steelhead and salmon tying. The young man is already a much better tyer than I will ever be. I admit that is not saying much, but don't dis his tying skills just because he has not caught many fish on a fly.
I suspect that access to fishing water may be his problem. When I was his age I was always pestering my dad to take me fishing. When he wouldn't, I would strap my fishing pole on my bike and ride 12 miles to the nearest trout river and flail away. I still called it a pole in those days - hadn't figured out it was actually a rod. I rarely caught anything, mostly because I had very little clue what I was doing and not much chance to practice.
I started tying at 14 but I think it was a year or so before I caught a trout on a fly I tied. I'm guessing that fish finished last in its class at school. laugh.gif
John

#15 Flytyer14

Flytyer14

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,343 posts

Posted 26 April 2011 - 03:31 PM

I have bee fly fishing for 2 years. although it's only the 13th? trip that i took when I caught it. I have a pretty good cast, my only problem is good presentation. I've been tying for 3 1/2 years now. and Thank you for the congrats!

Mr. John P. I don't think he was trying to dis me, and if he was...well what can I do? hahaha thanks guys!
-Mark Varga

Tyer for 5 years!!