Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

MY First Trout!!

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#16 Flytyer14

Flytyer14

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,343 posts

Posted 13 May 2011 - 10:16 AM

THank you all!! Can I get a recipe? Thanks!!
-Mark Varga

Tyer for 5 years!!

I specialize in tying Classic Salmon Flies as well as some of the more generic trout patterns.

If anyone has a question or is in need of any materials, I can try to point you in the right direction.

#17 gpd4

gpd4

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 867 posts

Posted 13 May 2011 - 10:51 AM

I use a rotary cutter (scissors will work) to cut thin strips of chamois - less than 1/8" wide and about 3" long. Taper one end. Take a 2X or 3X long streamer hook and wrap it with lead (or leadfree) wire. I cover most of the hook shank. The reicpe I saw used yellow thread - so that's what I use. 6/0 Uni, to be specific. Tie the chamois strip down at the back of the shank and wind the thread forward. Wrap the chamois stip forward and tie it down behind the eye. Cut off any excess. Make a little yellow 'head' and finish knot. That's it.
There is three times as much water on Earth as there is land. Any fool can see, God intended man to fish three times as much as he works.

Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he will sit in a boat and drink beer all day.

#18 Flytyer14

Flytyer14

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,343 posts

Posted 14 May 2011 - 07:01 AM

Ok thanks. now where to get Chamois...hahaha
-Mark Varga

Tyer for 5 years!!

I specialize in tying Classic Salmon Flies as well as some of the more generic trout patterns.

If anyone has a question or is in need of any materials, I can try to point you in the right direction.

#19 NJFlyMAn

NJFlyMAn

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,049 posts

Posted 14 May 2011 - 07:14 AM

Maybe this video can help you out... B)