Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

Fishing Report 5/17/2011

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Crackleback

Crackleback

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 661 posts

Posted 18 May 2011 - 03:01 PM

I celebrated my birthday a day early yesterday fishing the Current. We just had a flood so I was interested to see how much the river had changed. It was still up a little and getting around was tricky at times but overall the flood left it in good shape; it just changed everything up. A wading staff would have been a good thing to have. I'd heard everyone was catching nothing but rainbows so I was pleasantly surprised to catch quite a few brownies the best being about 17". I Czech nymphed my way downstream then put a coiled sighter into my leader and French nymphed my way back up. The fly of the day was a #16 rusty brown biot nymph with a fire orange thread collar and a copper tungsten bead. It managed to stay as my dropper all day surviving countless snags earning it retirement to my hat. My anchors didn't fair so well and my fly box shows it. I've got a lot of tying to do before my next trip. Depending on the water I used a cased caddis I tie on a jig hook, woven polish nymphs, and stonefly nymphs very similar to a dronestone as anchors. All the browns took my dropper and the rainbows were about 50/50 between it and the anchors. If you're interested theres a report with all kinds of pics of the river changes on my blog. Theres a link in my signature.
Attached File  littlebrown.jpg   95.38KB   18 downloads
a little brown
Attached File  nicebrown.jpg   111.02KB   26 downloads
it's big brother
Attached File  hs4.jpg   684.4KB   30 downloads
Where I used to cross the river......but not anymore

-Mike

#2 NJFlyMAn

NJFlyMAn

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,049 posts

Posted 18 May 2011 - 03:08 PM

Nice report and fish!!! Thanks for sharing.. Ohhh..Happy Birthday!!! B)

#3 Flytyer14

Flytyer14

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,343 posts

Posted 18 May 2011 - 03:39 PM

Look's like really nice water.. I'd love to fish there :P
-Mark Varga

Tyer for 5 years!!

I specialize in tying Classic Salmon Flies as well as some of the more generic trout patterns.

If anyone has a question or is in need of any materials, I can try to point you in the right direction.

#4 FlyFishin'Jam

FlyFishin'Jam

Advanced Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,034 posts

Posted 19 May 2011 - 12:00 AM

Does look like beautiful water, very nice report! Just wondering if you saw with this high water many fish in quite close and shallow at all e.g pockets or right against the bank?

#5 Crackleback

Crackleback

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 661 posts

Posted 19 May 2011 - 11:24 AM

Does look like beautiful water, very nice report! Just wondering if you saw with this high water many fish in quite close and shallow at all e.g pockets or right against the bank?

Yep, a lot of them were right off the bank. The odd slower sections were pretty stacked up with fish too.

-Mike