Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

Florida Everglades 2011

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 SteveGibson

SteveGibson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 19 May 2011 - 01:39 PM

I hadn't been back to The Everglades since prior to the 2010 freeze. That cold killed most of the exotics.
However, I heard fishing was hot down there, so I made the drive Wednesday morning. It's a little over 2 hours south of me.
Didn't see another boat all day.
I fly fished, using mainly a 3-weight and my Myakka Minnow. Conservatively, I estimate I caught and released 250 fish, including largemouth bass, bluegill, stumpknocker, shellcrcker, warmouth perch, gar and one Mayan cichlid.
I litterally left the fish hitting. I rarely went two casts without at least a hit.

Didn't notice the bubble-eye bass until after I uploaded the photos.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#2 NJ All Day

NJ All Day

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,413 posts

Posted 19 May 2011 - 02:26 PM

Looks great, thanks for the trip.
Evan

"Some go to church and think about fishing, others go fishing and think about God."

~Tony Blake~

#3 jhammer

jhammer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 397 posts

Posted 19 May 2011 - 02:43 PM

Looks like a great time! You might want to try an 8 weight if you decide to go after those gators..... :lol:

#4 FlyFishin'Jam

FlyFishin'Jam

Advanced Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,034 posts

Posted 19 May 2011 - 04:02 PM

hahaha gators on the fly. Hey that bass with the bubble eye is weird, i wonder what caused that? Fishing looks like fun there, quite a mixed bag! Great photo's and thanks for report :)

#5 gpd4

gpd4

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 867 posts

Posted 19 May 2011 - 04:44 PM

Might be time for a SBS on that little minnow...
There is three times as much water on Earth as there is land. Any fool can see, God intended man to fish three times as much as he works.

Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he will sit in a boat and drink beer all day.

#6 Flytyer14

Flytyer14

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,343 posts

Posted 19 May 2011 - 05:15 PM

Haha I agree ^^^ ^_^
-Mark Varga

Tyer for 5 years!!

I specialize in tying Classic Salmon Flies as well as some of the more generic trout patterns.

If anyone has a question or is in need of any materials, I can try to point you in the right direction.

#7 agn54

agn54

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,430 posts

Posted 19 May 2011 - 08:58 PM

Fantastic pics Steve. Takes me back, I haven't fished down there in years. Used to fish the L-28 as a kid, awesome bass fishing there and tons of oscars, just wished I fly fished back then.

Here is a link to a SBS for Steve's myakka minnow.

#8 jhammer

jhammer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 397 posts

Posted 19 May 2011 - 09:23 PM

I'm gonna have to tie up and try out a couple of those flies. I'll bet the crappie in my neck of the woods would go nuts after them! I may have to try them on some white bass too! B)

#9 smallieFanatic

smallieFanatic

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,474 posts

Posted 19 May 2011 - 10:39 PM

Beautiful pictures. I especially like the alligator shots :-)
“Give me a lever long enough and a fulcrum on which to place it, and I shall move the world.
~Archimedes

Darwinism seems to have become a politically protected sacred cow, and I've never seen a sacred cow I haven't wanted to roast - the fact that you are not supposed to criticize it is just too irresistible to me.
-Angus Menuge

Visit my blog, North Fly, and leave a comment if the mood takes you

#10 Capt Bob LeMay

Capt Bob LeMay

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,327 posts

Posted 20 May 2011 - 06:33 AM

Great report. For anyone that just has to try that "gator on fly" thing.... All you have to do is use a popping bug and land it right on a small gator's nose. When they're small (small enough to actually handle without losing any fingers...) they eat lots and lots of dragonflies. Any bug that lands on their nose is snapped at instinctively. Larger specimens will actually follow a noisy popper and try to take it but you don't want to get involved with any of the bigger ones (and you particularly don't want to draw one over to where you're standing....). Although I'm primarily a salty type in the winter there's places where you can launch in the salt and run all the way back into freshwater where there are both freshwater species as well the usual salty types mixed in together.

Tight Lines

Bob LeMay
Tight lines Bob LeMay (954) 435-5666

#11 Arkansas Mike

Arkansas Mike

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,257 posts

Posted 26 May 2011 - 04:43 PM

Great pics, Steve.

Mike

#12 ditz2

ditz2

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,765 posts

Posted 27 May 2011 - 11:23 AM

I bet that gator gave you quite a tussle on that 3wt. hehehe......I envy you being there in FL. If wifey wasn't afraid of hurricanes I would be down there too.

#13 bigdewy

bigdewy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 621 posts

Posted 27 May 2011 - 12:28 PM

Thanks for sharing some really sweet pictures. Not many gators here in the Great Basin, so always a treat to see one "up close & personal". :rolleyes: