Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

Columbia Smallies

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 P.Dieter

P.Dieter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 170 posts

Posted 24 May 2011 - 11:47 PM

We camped at Horn Rapids and fished sloughs and back channels/sloughs from Vantage to Goldendale. Carp are just getting to the spawn in the warmer spots and were very hard to pick up between sex on the brain, wind and murky water. Fishing around wind turbine farms...can you guess what the issue might be?. But damn it was fun to get out on the east side. The new-to-me Murdich Minnow was a lot of fun to fish, very visual fishing with so much unweighted flash.

Largest of trip
Posted Image

Playing with me u/w case

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Rainbow clouds

Posted Image

My first tries at murdich minnows
Posted Image

#2 NJ All Day

NJ All Day

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,413 posts

Posted 25 May 2011 - 05:20 AM

Looks fantastic, can I have a recipe on the minnow?
Evan

"Some go to church and think about fishing, others go fishing and think about God."

~Tony Blake~

#3 rich mc

rich mc

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,057 posts

Posted 25 May 2011 - 06:30 AM

there several versions of the murdich minnow on flyfishohio.com. one is the ghost minnow by jonn graham rich mc

#4 tidewaterfly

tidewaterfly

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,064 posts

Posted 25 May 2011 - 09:11 AM

Paul, congrat's on your success! Great post! Really like the flies!

I've become a fan of Murdich Minnows too! I tied a variation for a Striper fly swap awhile back.

Thanks for the update! :)

#5 P.Dieter

P.Dieter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 170 posts

Posted 25 May 2011 - 10:12 AM

The fly in the 1st and 3rd shot fished the best and it was my first attempt and was deemed way too sparse and of poor proportions more like a clouser. Fishing's like that sometimes.

#6 tidewaterfly

tidewaterfly

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,064 posts

Posted 25 May 2011 - 11:35 AM

Fishing's like that sometimes.

So true!

At times I've had more success with my "seconds" than with flies I thought looked great! :lol:

Sometimes more is less. I generally tie flies sparser for Smallmouths than I do for either LM's of Stripers. I feel that water clarity is the main thing, the clearer the water, the sparser the flies. Where I fish for Smallmouths the water is usually much clearer than in the places I fish for the other two. Although, nothing is set in stone, so variety is good to have on hand. :)

#7 Kirk Dietrich

Kirk Dietrich

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,479 posts

Posted 25 May 2011 - 12:41 PM

Beautiful Smallmouth! Looks like you're having fun with your underwater camera/housing. Those "rainbo clouds" must have been a sight to behold and you captured them well - breathtaking picture.
Make me feel jealous with my urban concrete canal fishing hole.

Kirk
Every now and then, I'll make a video, wish I could find time to do more; here is the link:
http://www.youtube.c...et?feature=mhee

I've got a few folders with photos of flies, these get more updates than my videos:
http://s136.photobuc...rofile/kirkdiet

https://picasaweb.go...rich?feat=email

#8 FlyFishin'Jam

FlyFishin'Jam

Advanced Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,034 posts

Posted 25 May 2011 - 02:57 PM

*sigh* still 1 month till Bass even opens here! Smallies look in great condition, nice report and flies :)

#9 jhammer

jhammer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 397 posts

Posted 25 May 2011 - 07:17 PM

Nice smallies!

#10 TheCream

TheCream

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,588 posts

Posted 26 May 2011 - 11:21 AM

there several versions of the murdich minnow on flyfishohio.com. one is the ghost minnow by jonn graham rich mc

Yep, I have seen a lot of variations, yours look awesome! I do mine with an ice chenille head, works well, also.