Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

Fly Fishing for Shovelheads??

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 jhammer

jhammer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 397 posts

Posted 30 May 2011 - 05:13 PM

Flathead Catfish and fly fishing are two things that do not usually cross a fly fisherman's mind. After landing quite a few of these beasts, I'll share an article I wrote a while back about these awesome behemoths. This may be the most unconventional type of fly fishing you've ever heard about, but the rewards can be amazing! ;)

Fly Fishing for Flathead Catfish

#2 bluegill576

bluegill576

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,466 posts

Posted 30 May 2011 - 05:28 PM

I have always wanted to fly fish for some cats, but didn't know how. Thanks for the article.

#3 NJ All Day

NJ All Day

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,413 posts

Posted 30 May 2011 - 06:54 PM

There was a thread about fly fishing for catfish.

Here is a link for the flies people use.

http://www.flytyingf...=1
Evan

"Some go to church and think about fishing, others go fishing and think about God."

~Tony Blake~

#4 MowestFlyfisher

MowestFlyfisher

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 544 posts

Posted 30 May 2011 - 08:19 PM

i have caught a few catfish on the fly myself (my first fish on the fly)I have caught them in my pond at the house and at the lake numerous times. I don't use any scent on my flies or cut bait although it works wonders when fishing for cats i have caught them on the crappie killer pattern here on the site under a popping rig i found for fly fishing for crappie. I have also caught them on poppers and the ever reliable woolly bugger. But i do "cheat" sometimes when fishing the pond at home we feed them a floating fish pellet food and i "matched the hatch" using foam making a pellet shaped fly and colored it the tan/ brown that the food is. If you want to target catfish they feed furiously right after ice off and will take just about any shad imitation or other bait fish imitation. And another thing why not catch catfish they are very good eating for the most part.
Attached File  Rod Breaker caught on a woolly bugger.jpg   81.46KB   13 downloads
"Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."

~by Henry David Thoreau~