Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
miketipp

Fly Tying Pattern Softwear!!!!!

Hi all, I have been tying myself for the last two seasons and catching on my own creations but as a novice I have limited materials as I am only in the process of building up my materials. This might be a stupid question but is there anything like a programme with you can input what materials you have and it would give you patterns based on your details?

I know nothing beats asking an experienced tier what can be created with X,Y and Z but it does take a lot of time and money to build up a good stock of different threads, wires, feather etc. and I find I come across a pattern that looks great but there is always some material that I don't have so I substitute it for something in my collection.

Or maybe this is how new patterns evolve, out of necessity. Any way my biggest regret is I didn't start tying years ago as it has rounded off the whole fly fishing life full circle.

Give Google a try

Type in "fly pattern using pheasant tail" and view the results

Try other materials as well

You can also search the fly tying database on this forum by materials

Actually, this thread might be a great place to start.

Type the list of what you have. MANY of the members here can give you suggestions based on that ... then you can look up the patterns for those suggested flies.

Here's an old blog post on the topic: https://www.brighthub.com/computing/windows-platform/articles/114137.aspx

None of the tying software I've seen has been worth the effort in my mind. When you start building a clippings file, something like Evernote or OneNote can come in handy, but for a materials search, Norm's answer is probably as good as any.

You can go to Hans Weilenmann's site and use the search box at the upper right for finding patterns related to materials that you type in. You can find it here

Regards,

Mark

Perhaps a different approach to fly tying is a more practical alternative. My approach is a little different but it works for me. I don't collect material nor do I wish to. I don't tie flies that have no practical purpose for my fishing and I don't tie flies for the sake of tying flies. The thought of tying a fly based on my material collection has never crossed my mind. Strict adherence to fly patterns is for the most part a waste of good money and not necessary. Buy the material to tie the flies you will actually fish and view patterns as a guide. Your material will collect all on its own without much thought and so little expense that it will go practically unnoticed.

I am the opposite. I buy cool looking stuff and then find a way to use. Otherwise I wouldn't have a room full of crap! Collecting feathers and fur can be fun. I like to try new products. Just bought some synthetic hackle, some hen necks, a partridge skin, fake yak hair, popper foam, etc. Man , my tying is all over the place.

You could probably get by with black, grey and Hare's ear dubbing, some peacock hearl, a mixed pack of dry fly hackle, a few cheap hen necks, a couple of pheasant tails, black thread, head cement and some hooks. Maybe add some beads and red floss and white rubber legs if adventurous. Maybe a sheet of foam for floaters. That would probably tie everything you need. Maybe throw in some hourglass eyes deer tail, Krystal flash...see what I meam.

I think Mike uses about 4 products. He saves money. Everyone has a different approach to our wonderful hobby.