Fly Tying

... a fly tying workshop in my area ...

Are you planning a "class" for people who've never tied before? Or more in line of a "get-together" for new AND existing tyers?

If you're going to cater to a variety of skill levels, then you shouldn't need a ton of thread. Most will have the basics, or they wouldn't be coming to a workshop.

As stated above, Just buy a supply of threads on spools in the colors you want.

You'll beat yourself up trying to re-spool fly tying bobbins. Not to mention that you'll need to first GET those bobbins. The time, frustration and initial cost probably won't be large enough to justify.

Welcome to the site, and good luck on whatever it is you're trying to do.

At the wholesale level - all the fly tying threads come 12 spools to the box (and each spool will tie a bunch of flies.. ). Back when I was teaching fly tying years ago that's how I bought the threads I needed to provide my students with. Today, I still buy my threads by the box instead of by the spool and keep on hand maybe twenty boxes of the threads I need (flat waxed Danville in every color, 3/0 monocord as well in the colors I need).

The only problem you'll have is getting to the wholesale side of things to gain access to what you need...

I have a spool (bulk) white that I respool off of, its a nice flat thread. I can dye it any color I want to.

I am pretty sure Danville will sell you thread on cones, but why bother? I guess if you were using Norvise bobbins and were respooling anyway, it might make sense.

Many years ago there was a local shop that got thread that way and respooled it onto wooden sewing spools. You could bring back your empty spools and get them refilled. I think at that time the plastic spools were pretty crappy and the wooden spools worked more smoothly in bobbin holders.

All my threads are re-spooled on sewing machine bobbins because the plastic spools used to be so crappy, and once started I just kept up the habit. In fact I spool yarns and chenille and fine copper wire on the same bobbins. A secondary benefit is the things take up about 1/5 as much storage space, the down side is that over time I've lost track of which thread is what brand, etc.

Oshman Brothers is the US distributor of Gutermann threads, The SKALA threads are excellent for fly tying. The three sizes roughly are equal to 3/0, 6/0. and 8/0. Its all I use on freshwater flies. Comes in colors and in 5000 and 10,000 yard spools. Less than 25 cents for a hundred yards.

When you find bulk thread, you will then discover that, when you buy a standard spool of tying thread, you pay more for the spool than for the thread.

Anyway for bulk thread take a look at Guttermann Skala. Similar to UTC 8/0 but finer and stronger.

Cheers,
C.