Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Fish For Life

tying on teble hooks

Tying on trebles is not really needed for pike on fly. Lures are generally set with trebles cause that's tradition and they are tuned to swim right with that weight. A single hook will have no problem at all hooking pike, its easier to unhook from a fish, your net, yourself.

Guess what im saying is don't bother.

Yes, I "dress" trebles all the time for the spinners I make. More and more I am using single hooks too on spinners. There's no rocket science involved in tying on a treble, but honestly for a real fly I don't think a treble is going to do you any better than a large single hook.

Way back in the day, before anyone in our little town ever heard of "Joe's Flies" spinners, there was a person there who was making trout spinners he called "Short Strikers" and they were sold in all the bait shops and gas stations etc. They were a French spinner (Mepps Aglia style) with a decently tied #6 or #8 wet fly with a small #14 or so treble looped on behind the tail. They were killers and still are in the put-and-take streams and lakes. I make a lot of those, and everyone really likes them. I've done the same with large streamers too, putting a smallish treble back in the tail of the fly, on a doubled length of FireLine. Sometimes they help, and sometimes they are just a pain in the a## due to tangles.

I don't fish for Pike, but agree that trebles are not needed for flies. I use trebles on some lures, particularly bigger saltwater lures and dress them with either feathers or hair, but like Joel stated, more & more I'm using single hooks instead.

In some situations, trebles are more difficult to get a good hook set, even with spinning, trolling or baitcasting tackle, plus with the extra points on a treble, if a fish is flopping around a lot, there's a higher risk of ending up with one of those points in one of your body parts while trying to land the fish or remove the hook. Been there & done that, so I much prefer a single hook when practical.

For the fishing I do, I would never use a treble for flies.

I've tied some kind of flash or feathers on the tail hook of most of my hard plastic bassin' lures. All of my hard plastic minnow imitations have "tails" that I've tied myself.

Here's some trebles I've dressed for tail hooks on lures. Like Mikechell, I also like them on my minnow type lures!

100_4320.jpg

100_4319.jpg

I don't like treble hooks, though I have tied many many salmon flies on them. I will do them if the customer insists, but I don't offer them.

If you are going to tie on trebles then get a short plastic tube, one from a cotton bud is ideal, and, using a length of mono or wire, pull a fine rubber band through it. The end result is two loops separated by the tube. When you come to form the head hold one loop and enlarge the other with your fingers. Place it over your bobbin and slide the tube up to make a tiny loop. Feed this over the eye of the hook and it will drag all the materials back. Form your head, and trim out your thread. Then just pull on the tube. The rubber band will come off the hook easily.

You don't have to do this. Try tying trebles as you would singles and you'll soon be making one up! It'll keep your blood on the inside where it belongs

Cheers,

C..

I agree with Mikechell, i always dress out my Rap's and Crankbaits,even though it does limit the action. But when it comes to chasing larger fish, Swiash hooks are always the way to go, dressed or not, they penetrate easier, sink deeper, wont bend as much, and are safer.