Fly Tying
Patriot

Are contributions to support this forum accepted?

I know it is taking a lot of resources to keep this forum up and running as well as it is. I've developed website's for many years so I have some idea of what it takes to keep an interactive website such as this in good working order. That said, I would be happy to make a contribution so that we can continue to have a great place to learn and share our fly tieing thoughts and ideas.

I've looked for a 'Support' button, but perhaps I just missed it.

Thanks!

You can send a PM to steeldrifter. He's the active administrator for the site. Ask him if there's a way to donate.

You can try to contact SmallieHunter. He's the site owner, but he's not very active on the site.

Patriot,

Will Mullis, the owner has said, on the record, that he is not interested in receiving any "charity" for operation of this forum.

Nonetheless, a group of concerned users have indicated a willingness to contribute funds to help preserve this site in the future and possibly fund some fixes, upgrades, or improvements, e.g., on search functions, pattern database uploads, and maybe activate the "like" buttons. A few months back, I was in the process of compiling some information and writing to Will but had to shelve the project because of some pressing medical matters. I hope to revive it before the end of the year. I will message you some links if you want to reviews some of the discussions in the forum.

At some point there may have been a support button and the Trading Floor may have once used a donation button for sellers to give back, in recognition of using the forum to hawk their wares. One way of supporting this site is to buy products from Green Caddis Outfitters, which is closely affiliated with sponsoring this forum. Personally, I can endorse the hooks sold via GCO, and their site was very user-friendly and my order was processed and shipped quickly.

The recent site outage for twomdays has members again discussing what might be done if the site collapses in the future.

In any event, I have appreciated your posts recently on this and other topic.

You can send a PM to steeldrifter. He's the active administrator for the site. Ask him if there's a way to donate.

You can try to contact SmallieHunter. He's the site owner, but he's not very active on the site.

Thanks for the info, Mike.

I really think this is important. I'm not implying that everyone who posts takes this forum for granted, but I would hate to see this forum go down for lack of funds or technical oversight.

Patriot,

Will Mullis, the owner has said, on the record, that he is not interested in receiving any "charity" for operation of this forum.

Nonetheless, a group of concerned users have indicated a willingness to contribute funds to help preserve this site in the future and possibly fund some fixes, upgrades, or improvements, e.g., on search functions, pattern database uploads, and maybe activate the "like" buttons. A few months back, I was in the process of compiling some information and writing to Will but had to shelve the project because of some pressing medical matters. I hope to revive it before the end of the year. I will message you some links if you want to reviews some of the discussions in the forum.

At some point there may have been a support button and the Trading Floor may have once used a donation button for sellers to give back, in recognition of using the forum to hawk their wares. One way of supporting this site is to buy products from Green Caddis Outfitters, which is closely affiliated with sponsoring this forum. Personally, I can endorse the hooks sold via GCO, and their site was very user-friendly and my order was processed and shipped quickly.

The recent site outage for twomdays has members again discussing what might be done if the site collapses in the future.

In any event, I have appreciated your posts recently on this and other topic.

Greetings Flat Rock native,

Thanks for your in-depth response to my query.

Now that you brought up the recent collapse of the website, I was wondering what was going on when I saw a message about the 'database' not connecting (or whatever the message was), a few weeks back when I could not log in. Since that time I have been more involved with postings, but when a website goes down that is not a good sign. I have used the same website hosting service for my websites for over 15 years and never have they shut down. Website's can fall off the 'net for a lot of reasons, so I am not going to speculate on this forums outage. However, to go down without prior notice is never a good sign.

I am not certain how this forum all fits together. If my memory is correct, I believe I came across this website via a link from Hatches magazine. I could be way off base about this, but regardless, I am very glad I discovered it because this is a super-friendly forum about a subject that has been dear to me since I was nine or ten years of age. That said, I was not aware of Green Caddis' role in this.

In regards to GCO, to make member's more aware of supporting this forum, perhaps GCO would be interested in announcing that member's of this forum would receive a small discount on their GCO purchases or that a certain percentage of their GCO purchase would go towards supporting this forum. This could draw more business to GCO and help support the forum at the same time. I know there is a fine line between being pushy and making a point about a good cause, so this would have to be done so as not to offend anyone - an impossible task perhaps. Just a thought. (I tend to believe that fly fishermen are all good upstanding individuals with a ton of common sense, but that is just my life experience and not based on any statistical analysis.)

I have never purchased from GCO for the simple reason that they never seem to come up when I search the web for an item I am in the market for. This could be due to poor website design that is not search engine 'friendly', but I'm not sure. I do find it very odd that I have not heard of them in all of the purchasing that I have been doing of late. I have them bookmarked now. Thanks for bringing that to my attention.

I feel very strongly that we should do whatever we can to keep this site up and running. It would be a shame to lose this forum due to lack of funds or mainenance issues. I feel that this is a not matter of 'charity' at all, IMO fiscal support for something important to us is just good ol' common-sense.

Please do keep me in 'the loop' about contributing financially to this forum.

Thanks again.

P.S. I do hope your medical issues are a thing of the past.