Fly Tying
yooperflyfisher

Homemade Strip Baskets

I was reading how to do it on google it seems there are so many ways to do it I think I am going to do it with a dishpan, bungee cord, yoga mat and Bic pens any better ways or cheaper ways to do it?

Unless you are constantly stepping on, tangling in or knotting up your line, I don't see the need for a stripping basket. Just another doo-dad that you have to carry with you. And it takes up a HUGE amount of space hanging there on your belly.

Where, or what kind of fishing are you doing that you're ending up with a lot of line piled at your feet?

I made mine from a chlorine tab container. Cut the top off, and added a web belt. a few holes, no posts. I use it when fishing the surf, or when walking along the dikes around the lagoons.

Unless you are constantly stepping on, tangling in or knotting up your line, I don't see the need for a stripping basket. Just another doo-dad that you have to carry with you. And it takes up a HUGE amount of space hanging there on your belly.

Where, or what kind of fishing are you doing that you're ending up with a lot of line piled at your feet?

Wading in waist deep water with my commando heads the mono sinks so you can’t cast very far and pike fly fishing in general fishing off of docks the bank or a boat it almost always gets tangled.

I used a stepping stool from target, had a nice rounded cut out that fits well against your body, drilled some holes in the bottom and cut a couple slits to run a belt through.

Mike a lot of times when you finish from shore the grass or brush will grab your line and on the ground and make casting difficult, even fishing ponds I often have 70 ft of line off my reel to deal with a basket keeps it from getting stuck in the grass or black berries when I try to shoot it.

Mike youre from the south...I dont know about Florida but in Texas everything that grows has some kind of thorn or sticker on it...And if you fish from the shore/bank your fly line is constantly getting stuck in it.

Who wants to trash a $60-$100 line by just grabbing l it and ripping it out of that mess. Constant aggravation.

I either wade to get away from the bushes or I wear a stripping basket.

I know my boat is fly line snag city but I don't use a stripping basket. I just cuss a lot. Same with the surf, I just cuss a lot. Been meaning to make or buy one but they look ridiculess so I just continue to cuss.

You guys are assuming I don't know what it's like to fish from the shore. While I will likely never fish the surf with a fly rod ... I've fished all across the U.S.A.

I am not arguing that Yooper DOESN'T need a basket. I'm just arguing whether it's necessary, or just another "artifact" that a young angler thinks he "has to have".

Yooper, your use of shooting heads and running lines makes perfect sense for the need of a basket. I hope it works out.

Mike West's design looks just right. Let me suggest you go one step further and punch a lot of small holes in the bottom and outer sides. The drainage will come in handy in keeping the thing from filling up in wet weather and wading and you can cut down the weight a bit too. The holes will not bother the shooting line.

My fix for that need is a curved, form-fitting, high-sided, porous, commercial basket made of light weight, plastic screening that folds up against me when not in use. I hardly know its there. It has no cones but the OPST Lazar Line rarely tangles on itself if you 'shoot' it through a circle made by your left -- non-rod -- hand's thumb and forefinger.

I got it years --decades? -- ago and it has no logo on it now. IIRC I got it from a West Coast outfit that caters to steelheaders.

Rocco

All of this thread is about stripping baskets on the angler - when you fish out of a skiff in the salt (or in any big waters out of a skiff with motor) things change a bit. The stripping buckets (baskets or what have you) are usually free standing - like a tall kitchen trash can and can be a necessity when you also have a trolling motor (or other obstructions -like a casting platform...) in the bow area. After many years of doing without a trolling motor I'm finally adding one to my skiff (at 71 I'm just not quick enough with the pushpole when the big tarpon are 100 yards or more away...). At any rate it's a whole different world from the freshwater scene. My temporary bucket or basket or can... will be a folding leaf can - really cheap, generous size, but not holding up long in saltwater use...

For quite a bit of discussion (and argument) about buying one (which can get expensive...) or making one go to microskiff.com, the fly fishing board, and enter stripping bucket in the search function. You can also see them being used on an occasional episode of the Silver King TV show...

Hope this helps. I'm pretty sure that most here will rarely ever need one - but if you fish the salt (where it's always windy and fish come at you from every angle...) any assistance controlling that pesky fly line is very welcome...