Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
dadofmolly

Kids Fishing Derby

Last Sat was the annual Kids Fishing Derby put on by the Arvada Reservoir Volunteer Rangers, all kids 3 - 14 yrs of age free. No adult fishing (Mom or Pop can help the little ones cast). Kids are divided in age groups with 1st, 2nd and 3rd trophys per group; numerous fishing items donated by sponsors or area companies as door prizes. Kids (and adults) are feed hot dogs, chips, granola bars, soda and popcicles. Had 223 kids registered, almost 300 hot dogs grilled.

This year was kind of special as the kid who caught the largest fish overall was a 6 or 7 yr old -- catfish weighed in at 14lbs 2oz. After his fish was logged, he and his dad took the fish back to shore line and released it for others to catch.

Little gal (5 or 6) who won a trophy and had caught 4 or 5 trout was asked by the Derby director what her secret was. Her response "I fish where the fish are".

Had another little gal (guessing 4 yrs) brought in a little perch, 5 or 6", and was telling everyone "My Fish, My Fish). You could see the pride and joy on her face (as well as the parent) as she headed for the official weigh in, so much so that all the Rangers along her way were clapping and cheering for her. She didn't win a trophy but I think she was more proud of her 1st fish then any of the trophy winners.