Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
mybadhabit

Broken Bow OK

How many of you fish this area, when and how often?

I was fishing Broken Bow OK during May 15-18 and had a blast, I went out with Project Healing Waters as a participant and was invited back to take part in another outing and wanted to get as much information about the area as possible. I tie with some of the guys that were "river helpers/guides" so I have some good pointers there, but when I go back I want to be a little more prepared.

The guys I stayed with were great, and so were the guides, and the event was more than I'd hoped for. The big surprise for me was being asked to come back, learn a little more about the river and then be a guide for an outing in December-17, wow did that come as a surprise to me.

So if any of you are familiar with this little stretch of river in OK please let me know any helpful secrets that I can use to help the vets have a great time.

Blane

I have fished it a lot. It was prettier before they flooded it a couple of yeaars ago. I have had good luck nymphing up by the gate release at the headwaters. Black zebra midges, pt. Hares ear,etc. down further can be tricky to walk. Same flies will work. The further down you go there are some slow pools that you can swing olive wollybugers thru. There is a lot of silt in that lower area before you get to the access bridge. It can be like quicksand so plan for it. It's been overfished recently (past 6 years) so most of us Okies go to Ark to fish, there still in there so have fun.