Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  

Wheatley fly box.

The number corresponding to "size" indicates the number of clips in that row. On my 5 clip boxes I've stored down to #6 but think it's better suited to #4 and larger.

They have various size boxes, a 6" box can maybe hold a bigger fly than a 4.75" box. You also can cover a clip with a larger fly and carry fewer flies in that box; I do this with my old Perrine boxes.

This site has dimensions for all the boxes they sell and by drawing the size on a paper you should be able to judge how it will suit your purpose.

https://www.bearsden.com/page1037.html

>Another thought, the clip holds the hook bend and where the hook is in the fly can make difference in how the fly fits the box. If the hook bend is near the tail of the fly not so much extends past the clip as it might if the hook is near the head and a long tail behind the bend.

Clip Size

Appropriate Classic Hair Wing Fly Sizes 5's #1/0 - #6, For Flies Tied On Single or Double Hooks Large 7's #4 - #8, For Flies Tied On Single or Double Hooks Small 7's #6 - #12, For Flies Tied On Single or Double Hooks

from flyfishinginsidernewsletter.com

It might be more traditional to use a leather fly wallet with sheep skin for salmon flies, I know that some N'East anglers liked the wallets even for trout streamer and wets.

A caution on the clip boxes, don't put your flies up wet or the rust will happen. A sheep skin patch on vest or hat works to get my flies dry. A foam pad might work, never tried them, but get the flies dry. .