Fly Tying
SoftailClassic04

Does anyone have a granite or stone topped fly tying desk?

Hello,

I was curious if anyone has made themselves a fly tying desk making the table top out of granite, marble or stone. I have found a few Web sites that sell vise pedestal bases made of granite, but I was thinking of going big and having the entire top out of granite.

I already have several pieces all close to 4 ft long by approx 2 ft wide that I can use. I just wonder if this has already been done and if it is worth it.

SOFTAILCLASSIC04

AKA-HEAVY D

The only problem I see is the coloration. If you got highly granulated Marble, with different colors, veins and spots, you might be setting yourself up to lose some "vision".

I mean, tying is better when your background is uncluttered, monotone even. And if you drop a small hook, you might spend a lot of time trying to find it.

I agree with Mike 110%. As a beginner I've already found that a background card helps (gray or white) to keep behind the vise. I'm planning on building something like a tying station that can be picked up and moved when not in use. It'll hold tools and some thread spools I use often. The base will be a light laminate maybe, or a light natural wood color so nothing gets lost on the surface. I've been tying at my office desk that has a dark wood grain Formica and advise against dark and esp. brown (hooks and some feathers blend right in). Whatever you decide, make sure there's plenty of good light at your bench.

regardless of the surface, somebody will always have a problem with what YOU choose to use.

since you already have pieces ready to go then give it a try and tie some flies on whatever surfaces you have

only YOU should decide

Give it a quick try with a piece. Just drop some on a surface and have a go. Your vice will be high for this trial but it will give you an idea. There is no reason I can think of not to. A highly polished surface may glare but there are ways around that. A quick rub down with wire wool might cure any glare. If it works for you then nowt else matters.

A friend of mine was looking at a marble or stone base for his Nor Vice. There is a mason's workshop near me so I asked. The price put him off. As you already have the material why not.

Cheers,

C.

I have tried 2 different granite bases for my norvise. I loved it being solid. But got tired of not seeing hooks on it and glass beads dropped on granite ricochet to parts unknown. Went back to polycarbonate base.

Like others said, just try it out. I now tie on the Hareline Mega Tying Pad. It is gray and has some bumps on the surface. I like it because my vise sticks to it like glue and the little bumps in it helps catch all the things I drop when I am tying. The gray color is good on the eyes, but a backdrop behind the vise is better. The mat is 24 x 18 and will not slide off your desk and it has no glare. They cost about $24 and Hareline should have them back in stock soon. It would look great on top of you marble top and it would protect it.

pad-fly-tying-gray.jpg

That's a good idea, Buzfly.

For a lot less, you can use kitchen drawer liner material.

It grips and keeps things from sliding and it's got "dimples" that will keep things from bouncing and rolling.

Couple of bucks for a piece long enough to reach across your desk.

That's a good idea, Buzfly.

For a lot less, you can use kitchen drawer liner material.

It grips and keeps things from sliding and it's got "dimples" that will keep things from bouncing and rolling.

Couple of bucks for a piece long enough to reach across your desk.

attachicon.gifgripit.jpg

Hey all - Cut two pieces of this stuff Mikechell mentioned to aid in separating your fly rod pieces after fishing. I have two 6" x 6" pieces I leave in the back of my vehicle for this and it works great. I may need to try Mike's idea under the vice (I bought a roll at Walmart for under $5 (I think) and have PLENTY remaining).

I cut out a scrap piece of Corian table top material for mine. Very stone-like. And it's white and easy to work with... Very happy with it.

Mikechell

That is great stuff. I use it for other thing. They also make one that is solid with small ridges. The one advantage of the Mega Pad is that it's solid with a lip so when you spill it won't get in your desk.

First most of what is called "granite" is either a shist, gniess, granodiorite, or diorite it is nothing against anyone i am just a geological technician. But i don't have a "granite" top tying desk, but in the future I would definitely consider a stone fishing lure desk/bench. Because I also make spinners and plugs.

Guys, that foam material is actually called Barkeeper's Friend. It is used behind the bar to drain clean glasses. Someone came up with the idea of lining drawers.

I agree with others- you want a light color for tying flies. Yes, to each his own but it's hard to find a hook on a dark surface.